• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Banner Towing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
McJ---give me a PM and I'll hook you up with the guy that runs Barnstormer Flite Signs in MB---I usually do all his training for him every spring for the guys to fly the summer. The guys usually end up w/ about 600-700 hours for the 3 months of peak season. It's good PIC time, cuz like Bryan said it's all stick n' rudder flying, weather guessing and avoidance, etc. I've taught crop-dusting, and brought some guys in after initial training to give them more tailwheel time. A TWE should only take 5 hours. Good luck!

Banner towing operations

There is no such thing as a banner towing endorsement! Stay away from anyone called Timothy Pacini. He will take your money and give you a "BANNER TOEING (sic) ENDORSEMENT" or so he said when he e-mailed me a few years back. This is useless as I heard from someone who trained with Timothy and lost his money. Be careful who you fly with!

Get tailwheel time and your tailwheel endorsement that will make you more interesting to the majority of firms who tow banners. Sky Signs had good planes when I was there a few years back. Herb is a good guy. The chief pilot has changed and I don't know who the current one is. Run a very careful web search on the operation names you're interested in. I can say the tailwheel time was great and the hours add up quickly. I think I was flying opposite Flying Skip who worked at Barnstormers and posted earlier.
You gotta love flying day hours and Pilot Nights off!

My next job was clinched by the potential employer seeing I had the tailwheel experience.

Van Wagner, used to be Aerial Sign, http://www.vanwagner.com/aerial.htm
at North Perry airport in Hollywood, FL is looking for 180 horse J-3 and Super Cub banner tow pilots right now, add on www.climbto350.com on the 5th of Jan.

I flew for them in '98-99, great company to work for and a lot of fun, nothing like picking up a 65' high sign with a 180 horse J-3.

They operate a fleet of 35 highly modified Cubs all over the United States.

mcjohn,
PM me I went to MAPD and I know a good banner tow guy that doesn't advertise....

You will most likely be flying at night. So enjoy your nights off. This may be your last day only job for quite awhile. :)

Banner nights

flysjets said:
You will most likely be flying at night. So enjoy your nights off. This may be your last day only job for quite awhile. :)

So it wasn't just us deralicts on the Jersey Shore doing that! Nothing beats spending your summers in a vacation town when you're young. Fly all day long, get done and we always had beer in the hanger. Have a few cold ones in the hanger and unwind, run home, eat and shower, then go and hit the town. And the best part was- there was a whole new group of girls there every week or so on vacation. The best though were the Irish and English girls that came in to work the boardwalk for the summer. They were alot of fun.

Going to miss it this summer. Met some great friends out there and had some fun times.

momalley81 said:
So it wasn't just us deralicts on the Jersey Shore doing that! Nothing beats spending your summers in a vacation town when you're young. Fly all day long, get done and we always had beer in the hanger. Have a few cold ones in the hanger and unwind, run home, eat and shower, then go and hit the town. And the best part was- there was a whole new group of girls there every week or so on vacation. The best though were the Irish and English girls that came in to work the boardwalk for the summer. They were alot of fun.

Going to miss it this summer. Met some great friends out there and had some fun times.

With this advice, he definitely shouldn't have the kid! :D TC

P.S.--I highly respect banner tow and night freight pilots. You'll learn or die!

Sky Signs is a great outfit! 7 hours a day of towing. They will get your endorsment for you.

Latest resources

Back