Banner towing question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cougar6903

I noticed a placard on the panel of a Sooped up Supercub (180 hp, no cowl) that said " All landings to be perfromed in a soft field attitude". I assume that means a 3 point landing? Is there a reason behind this or just company SOP? I thought it may be because the props are longer then original??

I fly those cubs

I am flying one of those cubs this summer for van wagner. And you are correct. The props are much longer than standard and 3 pts must be done to assure no prop strikes. What a great airplane.

Soft field isn't necessarily tailwheel on the ground in a true three point position, but as the other posters stated, the point is to keep the tail down and the prop clear. To say three point denotes all three wheels on the ground, which is not necessarily the case in a soft field takeoff or landing.

I am flying one of those cubs this summer for van wagner. And you are correct. The props are much longer than standard and 3 pts must be done to assure no prop strikes. What a great airplane.

Unless they've put even bigger ones on there than the 82" they used to use, there is NO chance of a prop strike from a PROPER wheel landing. Especially with the longer spring steel gear they installed last year.

Now, if you're flying one out of a mud hole with 8" of standing water, you may need to keep the tail planted, but I personally preferred to fly the plane down; approach and touchdown was at the same speed, it just was under control instead of the plop down method many endorse.

Especially with the extra long gear; attempting to do a full-stall 3-point will result in the tailwheel touching down with the mains still 3-5" in the air. Doing THAT you're more likely to nose over as your inertia is carrying the nose down already. And its needlessly hard on the tailwheel and empennage longerons.

Last edited:
I noticed a placard on the panel of a Sooped up Supercub (180 hp, no cowl) that said " All landings to be perfromed in a soft field attitude". I assume that means a 3 point landing? Is there a reason behind this or just company SOP? I thought it may be because the props are longer then original??

That's it. I've flown them, you can wheel land it, but
what's the point? 3 point it and be done with it.

The J-5 wheel landings are real nice.

CE

Latest resources

Back