• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BALPA: Steer Clear of British Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
During my last recurrent in Widget World, I really got the impression they wanted us to hand fly as little as possible.

Bafanguy, I know where you're coming from. As an F/O who hand flys a lot, I can really tell the Captains who don't. It seems as if it's got to be up to the individual pilot to maintain his/her manual flying skills, 'cause the company doesn't seem to care if we do.

Here we go again.

I think this thread has a lot of potential and so far the only response (in my opinion) that made any sense was from Bafanguy.

Look, just because the original article was written (ostensibly) by a Brit and quotes BALPA, that's not a direct reflection on British pilots.

I happen to fly quite often with the Brits and I'll tell you what: They can drive.

From what I read, the article was trying to point out that this latest generation of pilots just might happen to lack some basic skills; basic airmanship.

It cites a Korean crash at Stansted.
The Greek crash outside of Athens.
And difficult flying conditions in Scotland.

I think it's a fair article.

And I'll echo what Bafanguy said about FOs throwing on the automation at min alt and sitting there with their hands in their lap....but in my experience I've been flying lately with new Capts in the -200 that were -400 FOs.

These guys do exactly the same thing with complicated DPs out of Amsterdam or Frankfurt but the problem is the -200 autopilot ain't that good.

I think they're just asking for a track violation but I suppose that may be the least of their worries...

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back