Bahamas Air Carriers and US Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CAPTAINAMERICA

Does anyone know if it is possible for a United States Citizen with US FAA Pilot Certificates to obtain full time employment as an airline pilot with a bahamas air carrier? If it is possible what is the policy and or procedure to obtain the named position? ( Do you contact individual airlines for work permits or do you contact proper bahamas government personnel first ? ) Not sure if we have to convert our US FAA Pilot Certificates over either and I cannot seem to find information anywhere regarding pilot employment. I have posted questions about the bahamas prior to this one however I never received any usable responses or answers to my questions. I figured I would ask again.....

Any information that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Did it in NAS for a year. The Bahamian Flight Standards Inspectorate will initially issue you a Bahamian ATP and medical based on your US one, but your ATP will only be employer specific, and valid only while employed by the specific carrier.
Regardless of the circumstances or terms of your employment, your employer must justify your existence there every three months to renew your work permit. They have to prove there are no locals who can already do the job. My employer paid the cost of the work permit.
As far as the flying goes, it's the "wild west". 99.9% VFR, little to no IFR or ATC infrastructure. Pretty much everything outside of 50nm of NAS, and below 7,000 countrywide is non radar. Lots of crushed coral runways with no markings and trees growing well into the OFZs around them. When I was there there was only one working ILS, at FPO. But generally any weather there that drops the vis low enough to need it you won't want to be flying in anyway.

Latest resources

Back