Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

24 carat

Hey everybody,

Am new here so sorry if this has been asked before, but is it true that when you pay for training you sometimes get treated very badly by the captains with whom you fly? Get to just sit there and do the radios? They hardly speak to you and you have to do all the dirty jobs?

Anybody any experience with this?

use the search option at the top of the page. Type in "PFT". become informed. PFT lowers the bar for all pilots.

24 carat said:
Hey everybody,

Am new here so sorry if this has been asked before, but is it true that when you pay for training you sometimes get treated very badly by the captains with whom you fly? Get to just sit there and do the radios? They hardly speak to you and you have to do all the dirty jobs?

Anybody any experience with this?

You mean the old "Gear Up! Flaps Up! Shut the F**k Up"!

Guys, I am just trying to orientate myself. Got my commercial and looking for a job. This aint easy, never expected it to be but, yeah, sometimes the whole 'buying your job' sounds pretty good. Not saying I will do it, just trying to orientate.

Judging from some of the coments here already there are some strong feelings. Coming back to the question, I suppose it is true then? Not much respect given by other pilots?

I honestly couldn't tell ya. The idea of pay-for-training is looked down upon by many pilots, but I've never heard of a Captain taking it out on someone for it. There ARE worse things you can be in this business in the opinion of many(scab; snitch; seniority list jumper to name a few). I've never paid for training myself, nor flown with someone who admitted doing so, thus it's never come up as an issue. I couldn't imagine myself "taking it out" on an FO over the subject. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen (there are guys who will make your life miserable just for being an FO!). Maybe other people on this board have other opinions or anectdotal evidence of such.

24 carat said:
Guys, I am just trying to orientate myself. Got my commercial and looking for a job. This aint easy, never expected it to be but, yeah, sometimes the whole 'buying your job' sounds pretty good. Not saying I will do it, just trying to orientate.

Judging from some of the coments here already there are some strong feelings. Coming back to the question, I suppose it is true then? Not much respect given by other pilots?

Pilot hiring is cyclical. Right now there are a lot of pilots on furlough. Get your CFI and teach for a year. You'll be a better pilot for it.

get oriented,
do not orientate or get orientated,
those aren't real words.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back