Bad day to travel. China MD82 crashes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chperplt

DALIAN, China (CNN) -- A China Northern Airlines plane crashed in the sea Tuesday near this city in Liaoning Province.

The Xinhua News Agency said the plane crashed after the captain reported a fire in the cabin.

Xinhua quoted airline officials as saying there were 103 passengers plus a crew of nine aboard the plane. There were no immediate reports of deaths or injuries.

The plane was on a flight from Beijing when it went down about 20 km east of Dalian, in northeast China.

The plane was an MD-82, Flight 6136.

Is it just me or during the past two years either there has been more accidents, or the media has been reporting more of them?

I think it's both

It seems that more planes go down now, and it seems that the media is far more interested in those stories these days.

Things happen in threes, I swear. First the one in Nigeria, then EgyptAir, and now this. Bizarre how these things work.

Stephanie

I actually had one of those worthless college courses that dealt with such mental curiosities. The reason that it seems like there are more crashes is because of the acute attention focused on them, especially now. Also, the crash stories don't die in a single news cycle. They linger on, creating somewhat of a bridge between one and the next, making the events seem one after the other. You could probably run a search and find that there are a few more this year than last, or a few less, but I doubt that you'd find the significant difference that you perceive.

Analogical events include accidentally hitting your elbow RIGHT where you have that new boo-boo. You ask yourself why you do that only when you have the injury. In fact you do it all the time, but it's not a memorable event. Also, why do you always get stuck behind a school bus ONLY when you are in a big hurry. Well, you don't. It's just a more memorable event.

As for things happening in threes (celebrity deaths, plane crashes, waltz beats, etc.), that's easy. Because of the famous "theory of threes", you are predisposed to believe such, so you subconsciously shut down the list after three similar events and start anew.

There you have it, and yes that's the first time I've used that material since I aced the final exam ten years ago.

that AIR CHINA 767 that crashed had a thirty year old capt (!!!!),

but that was AIR CHINA's first crash, or first one in twenty years.

i
I'd noticed also that the MD-82 was the third crash lately - it's true; accidentw happen in three's

The ages of the crew have nothing to do with anything. in Europe/Asia it is common to have young crews flying widebody a/c, because of ab-initio training and military pilots with fewer years of obligation. I remember reading about a Virgin A340 crew who dealt with a serious naviagation anomalie in IMC, bringing the ship to a safe landing. The captain was around 30. I know your post was not meant that way, but let us consider the relevant facts only.

Serious???

What is so serious about having dual FM failure? (that's what happend to that -340) All you have to is to tune the VOR's, NDB's and ILS's manually and the fly raw data. How a hell did you fly the 72???

FL000 is absolutely spot on in his analysis.

And to disprove the "accidents happen in threes" theory, go to the NTSB site and pick any month of any year.

I'm sorry, please explain then, why the crew were receiving reverse command from the flight directors, as well as false low-fuel status messages. Along with loss of EFIS information followed by a manual radar approach, I would say that the crew handled well a serious incident. It was merely an example of a completely different subject, cool guy.

Latest resources

Back