Backlash from "Fuel Conservation" cancellations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MedFlyer said:
There's a big difference between what AA announced and what DL announced.

AA announced specifically that certain flights were being cancelled in October. These flights were removed from reservations and can not be booked. AA even went as far as to announce the specific route pairings that were taking cuts.

DL isn't removing any flights. They are just telling people that at any given time they may cancel your flight if the load is light. There's no way to know if DL will cancel your flight until two days before hand.

With AA, you know in advance where the cuts are being made. With DL, it's a total surprise. Business people don't like surprises.
Amen!

DAL737FO said:
General,

I have to agree with the other guys about this one. Our managers have made another very poor decision with this one.

Gen, I have to agree too. Very bad decision. They would be better off just going ahead and for the next month or two trimming the schedule a bit. But if people cannot count on a flight going, why would they book on Delta? I know I wouldn't.

~~~^~~~ said:
Also - the SkyWest pilots voted down the 50 seat pay for 70 to 90 seat airplanes. You should be giving them credit.

Delta might have a use for those pesky RJ's - they could use them to cover segments where they arbitraily decide to cancel a flight and screw their passengers at the last minute. Us RJ drivers have lousy contracts with short reserve call outs..

Fins, I do give the SKW pilots credit. Amazing that a non union bunch is one of the first to have some balls.

And I have said the same thing about RJs for years. I remember about two years ago I was flying a 763 from ATL-JAX, last flight of the night. Full of course but on this night we were leaving behind 46 passengers. I remember the number, cause I got on the phone, called operations and told them they should gin up and RJ and get those people down to JAX. Nope, they would not even consider it. Given the reserve call out rules you guys have, I think that would be a great use on an RJ. And talk about good PR....we pull up and RJ and got the pax there, same night. But nope, Delta management cannot think outside the box.

Michael:

You have the right idea and I know that they can do it. I flew a Delta extra section with an ATR once to a city that had never seen an ATR. It was neat to do it. By the same token we have flights that are always oversold and need to be mainline.

michael707767 said:
. . .<snip>. . And talk about good PR....we pull up and RJ and got the pax there, same night. But nope, Delta management cannot think outside the box.
Should have called FedEx. . . . We do it all the time for boxes. . . .

michael707767 said:
Gen, I have to agree too. Very bad decision. They would be better off just going ahead and for the next month or two trimming the schedule a bit. But if people cannot count on a flight going, why would they book on Delta? I know I wouldn't.

Michael,

If that is happening for reasons other than wx or mx, then it would be bad. This bad press from Fins might persuade them to trim the schedule..... And I am glad SkyWest voted no. Now what will they do?

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Overkill there Fins. AA and other airlines are doing the same, and jet fuel prices prevent most middle managers from flying corporate. And when will those VLJ's come out in mass? Years. This flight cancellation deal is temporary during the slower SEP/OCT timeframe. AA started it too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General,
Don't forget that ASA is a DELTA Connection and that affects everyone's opinion of DELTA. You can't be #1 in Cancelled flights and #last in on-time arrivials and then have mainline cancel flights at random (at least to the public) and not get and deserve the bad press. Even if it was not true (but it is), preception is reality.

Highest rate of Cancelled flights: ASA (8.0%)
Lowest rate of ontime arrivials: ASA (59.6%)

Then Delta #3 in the Highest rate of Cancelled flights (Delta 3.1%)

(DOT August results)

....and these results are before the recent random cancellations....

Just the facts....

Just my opinion.....

FNG

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Hey, we average a dozen (12) flight cancellations a day out of thousands of flights. Easy there chief, stop drooling. Those flight cancellations are only temporary too, to get us through this slow season with unbelievable fuel costs. And your fuel costs are small? So is driving in an SUV to a plant 200 miles away, right? Wrong. Higher fuel hurts EVERYONE.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Like I said before, preception is reality. Temporary or not. Bad impressions last a lot longer than good ones. IF you burn someone, they will try to not get burned a second time. If the business customers leave even for a month or two, it will be harder to get them back, cause they will find it cheaper and more reliable to fly Air Tran or other.

Just my opinion....

FNG

FNG320 said:
Like I said before, preception is reality. Temporary or not. Bad impressions last a lot longer than good ones.

Just my opinion....

FNG

Like your A320 incident in LAX? That wasn't a very good commercial for Jetblue. SNL had a great skit about it. I am very glad that it turned out well, though.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back