• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Backache

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The best thing you can do is to keep working out within your limitations. Bike riding rehabilitated my back, and worked wonders. Also a good stretching routine. Change your ways of doing things to not put so much strain on your back. Always be cognizant of your sitting posture also.

You should get an MRI to see what is actually going on in there. Most of the time surgury is not the way to go unless you are really bad off.

After flying the T-37 for 5 years and getting about 2000 hours in it, I had back pain all the time. We only pulled 4-5 Gs in the Tweet, but the seat was hard and at a 90 degree angle. I seems like if you only flew it for 3 years and only got about 1000 hours you were OK. All us reservists who flew it up to the 2000 hour point, however, all have back problems.

First of all, I spent a lot of my own money on chiropractors and massage therapists. If I were you, I would first go to a doctor and see if you have a cracked vertebrae or something really serious. You probably have what we all had - a muscle in your lower back that was unable to release.

Apparently, a lot of tension is held in your lower back while you are G straining. For me, the stress of my job was causing me to hold tension in my back also. You will need several months worth of sessions to get those muscles to finally loosen up. You will need to stretch a lot too.

Another thing. I used to be a runner and I had to give that up. Now, I keep my heart rate in the "fat burning zone" and walk an hour 4 times a week. You can also do the stair climber or elipse. If you go out and run three miles, you will put all that stress right back in place.

Bottom line - you just have to adjust your lifestyle. I think having a bad back and hearing loss are just part of our job. The hardest part is not feeling like a p***y when you see younger people running laps around you everyday.

That sucks Big Slick.

For the original poster and Big Slick, have you guys even thought about disability. I would think you would have a strong case for it. Just an idea.

It took me 5 years to recover. I still go fetal maybe once every 18 months, but it subsides quickly. Most G-induced pain is muscular, not bone, which is good. Get a prescription for SOMA, a real muscle relaxant; don't let your doc talk you into a wheenie drug like flexeril. Those baby drugs are worthless. The Soma will knock a spasm into submission before it gets full blown.

Much of the problem is the parachute. If you drive a jet AND wear a parachute, like the T-37/38, be absolutely sure the parachute isn't even slightly pulling down on your shoulders under G-load. This is an issue more for tall guys, but I'd recommend a parachute spacer in all cases.

Even if you feel OK, if those chute straps are pulling down on your shoulders while under load, it'll mess you up big time.

Good luck. Let me add that it IS NOT WORTH IT to continue to fly with pain. Get off the schedule and don't let them pressure you back on until you are 100%.

Latest resources

Back