• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Back to Active Duty???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it even possible for Navy dudes to get back on AD? I know the Air Force is offering big coin to get people out via the VSP program. End strength issues from what I understand.
I know a few AF guys who did return to AD immediately after 9/11 but not recently....I'd be curious to know if the manning between the two services is that polar opposite.

Just throwing another option out there. The Coast Guard is looking for fixed wing and rotary wing pilots to get a direct commission to come in and fly for us active duty. All your mil time prior counts toward retirement and it is a good gig.

Just throwing another option out there. The Coast Guard is looking for fixed wing and rotary wing pilots to get a direct commission to come in and fly for us active duty. All your mil time prior counts toward retirement and it is a good gig.

No kidding!? I've always admired the coast guard mission. What would they do with a 10 year ex-navy hornet flier like myself?

huggy bear,

Not sure if you meant you have been away from mil aviation for ten years or if you have ten years as a Navy pilot.

If it is the first, they won't be able to do much. But if one were to get into CG aviation, I'm afraid there isn't anything quite like a hornet in our inventory. You would have to settle for C-130s or Falcon jets. We are also getting some CASAs. I wouldn't think it would be too exciting if you flew hornets before but I flew Apaches before coming into the CG and have had enough excitement to last me a while since I switched over.

USCG sure would be an attractive option, but at 12 years AD and 3 now in Reserves as an O-4, I'm afraid that option is gone - not that I'd want to start over again as an O-2. I bet the flying is very satisfying however, saving lives.

Latest resources

Back