• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Back Stabbing

aubrey770

Total Time
Enough
At what point are you obligated to rat out another pilot?

In 45 years in this business, I have only done it one time. That was for such a blatant safety violation that I just could not keep quiet. I ended up paying more of a penalty than the violator.

Rokit88

Total Time
Thats a tough one.

My personal rule, don't jeopardize me or my ticket.

Go to the person involved first.
If you don't get any resolution, then take it up the chain.

Always be able to cover yourself (Regs, AFM, etc) to show that you were correct. Its a dicey thing, but you need to protect you and yours.

fisherpilot

Total Time
~5000
In my opinion, the guys that that you have an issue with usually have some baggage that they carry with them. They have usually done the same thing/things at a previous job. I flew with a guy who had a history of recklessness and harrassment... He was a piece of work and had no professionalism whatsoever. I should have spoken up to the company before I quit.

But he got it in the end. Supposedly wigged out on a sim instructor at FS and next day at sim, "Sir, can you come with me please!" Oopps.....busted, should have stayed away from the drugs. Good thing that he isn't in an airplane anymore

FP

Globalflyer

Globalflyer
Total Time
A Lot
Thats a tough one.

My personal rule, don't jeopardize me or my ticket.

Go to the person involved first.
If you don't get any resolution, then take it up the chain.

Always be able to cover yourself (Regs, AFM, etc) to show that you were correct. Its a dicey thing, but you need to protect you and yours.

I agree 100%...

One other thing. Whatever you do, do it in writing so you have a paper trail. If someone tells you something or commits to doing something, email them and confirm the details of the conversation. Conversations have a way of being revised later on. This helps to prevent that from happening.

ghostrider64

Total Time
many
At the end of the day did you get in your car and drive home? If so you should think twice about doing anything that might cause you a problem...

It's a bad time to be job hunting....

SLUF4

Total Time
I guess it depends on the situation (safety or personal issue) I'd say if there is a trend of knowingly breaking rules and doing unsafe things and you've tried talking it over with the other pilot it would be time to take things a step further. Just because it's a bad job market doesn't mean you should die to keep your job and risk the lives of passengers also.

cjdriver

The cold hard truth is, if he's buddies with management, you don't stand a chance of getting relief. If so, live with it or leave. Good luck.

LAFrequentflyer

Total Time
<1,500
Now I know why my father liked single pilot flying at PHI so much...Many times could have moved to crew helos but decided to stay in 206s and the other single pilot birds PHI had...He never had to worry about his life or tickets...

ultrarunner

Total Time
At what point are you obligated to rat out another pilot?

At the point my life or that of my family becomes threatened, or I would face certificate action by NOT ratting them out...

Absence of those items, I'll let the looser kill themselves!

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
It works best when you make as many details up. The blind-sided look on their face is priceless. :laugh: