• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Back Again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I'm back again. I last spoke with you guys several months ago and at that time I was curious about beginning flight training. I decided to go for it. So far I've had only 3 lessons. So far they have been great.

There sure is a lot to juggle all at once in the cockpit (even in a little 172). I'm learning from a towered airport, so at least I will get experience with communications and more traffic right away.
Today we practiced some approach stalls at altitude. Boy was that a disconcerting feeling. Spins must be even more so. But I don't thing I will experience that in the private pilot's course.

Right now, I feel so uncoordinated. I don't feel like I'm controlling the plane. It's more like it's controlling me right now. My landing today was pretty smooth but I came in a little high.

Thanks for all of your replies several months ago. I'll keep you posted.

Steve

Good luck with it! Don't worry about feeling behind the airplane - it'll come around. One day you'll be going through the motions and think to yourself, "When did I learn how to do all of this!?" :)

As bigD said, it'll come around. My best advice is this: After you actually fly the plane with your instructor and do a debriefing, hang around a little longer by yourself and think about everything that was done in that lesson. Absorb the information before you hop in the car to ride back home. Then lie in bed at night and dream/visualize the maneuvers. I mean everything from takeoff to landing, including runup checks and pattern procedures. Focus on one topic every night and then start combining them together. Like tonight, visualize the takeoff, tomorrow night the pattern and landing, then when you have them mastered in your mind, combine them to make one complete sequence and master that. Once you can do it on a blue-clear-sky day, add some crosswind and a simulated engine failure. Sounds like a lot to dream about I know but like I said, do one maneuver each night and then add them together. These tips really helped me and quite a few of my fellow students to really take hold of the concepts. I hope they work for you too. Sorry for ramblin' on.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Guided visualization is a good technique for many people.

Add as much detail to your "waking dream" as possible, such as the sound of your instructor's voice, the tower calls on the radio, etc.

There was a thread here on the board a few months ago titled "Help, landings stink" or something like that. Do a search, and enjoy the insights.

Acclimation

Three dual flights, assuming each was something like 1.2-1.3, etc. is nothing. Don't worry about it. You are experiencing new sensations. Flight training is new education for your muscles, instincts and mind. It takes time. Give yourself some time to become acclimated.

Actually, I like the idea of primary students at least being introduced to spins. It's great for a pilot's education and confidence. Spin training alleviates fear a student may have if a he/she sees an actual spin and its recovery. So many people believe the old wives' tale that one automatically augers in after getting into a spin. In fact, in many light trainers, all you need to do is release the controls.

Good luck with your training and let us know when you solo.

Latest resources

Back