• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BA 747 crew commended for escaping near-stall on take-off

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can see in this scenario US airlines have the captain do the flying. I wonder what would've happened had he barked out "My Aircraft!" at a such low alt and a/s. It's a good thing he did not try to emulate Sully and did let his FO do the flying.

Yeah....with a 300-hour "diversity" F/O, like United Airlines, would have been a fireball.....

What's the big deal? He got the shaker, and unlike the Colgan 3407 crew, he lowered the nose (pushed down on yoke), gained airspeed, until stick shaker went away and airplane climbed. This is what common sense would dictate, what else are you suppose to do when the shaker goes off. I guess I commend this crew, but they only did what any competent pilot should have done.

First rule of flying:
"Maintain A Safe Airspeed."

At Airways the FO is supposed to fly and the Captain works the problem. Now, I hate the East as much as any Westie, but I think Sully taking the controls was probably in the best interests of the operation that day since Skiles (if I'm remembering correctly) only had 35 hours of Airbus time. You read that right, 35 hours.

Now, I know that Skiles has 20,000 hours, but it's mostly in the 73, sorry. Think about it, your FO is a veteran pilot, but he's got 35 hours in type and now you're at 3000ft with no engines. . . . Did you think what I thought? Say it with me: "My Aircraft."

Sully was right to take the plane that day, it wasn't an exercise in the simulator. Letting the 35 hour guy dead stick an Airbus would have been a big mistake.

Now, on a different vein, The crew of that 74 did a great job. Turning this and every thread into an east west thing is pretty lame.

Says who?

I have flown for 4 Part 135 carriers and 3 Part 121 carriers. Not a single one has EVER had the CA take the airplane at a low altitude. Engine failure, engine fire, stall recovery, anything.

AFTER the aircraft is STABILIZED, some airlines have the F/O fly while the CA troubleshoots the problem, while some have the PF direct the memory items and checklists, so *that* is different from airline to airline, but I've never seen a carrier with a standardized practice of taking the airplane with a problem right at or after V1.

Not sure what you're talking about here...

It is not in the FOM but I vividly remember a Capt at AT on the B717 briefing me on a takeoff (it was my leg) out of MIA one night, gusty winds etc, that "if we get into windshear on takeoff I will take the controls from you and fly us out of it."

Thankfully we didn't get into windshear and I never flew with that d-bag again.

What a standard bs FI thread-
(shakes head) what's wrong with you guys?

nice job BA !!!

A very good job.
Leave it at that-

It is not in the FOM but I vividly remember a Capt at AT on the B717 briefing me on a takeoff (it was my leg) out of MIA one night, gusty winds etc, that "if we get into windshear on takeoff I will take the controls from you and fly us out of it."

Thankfully we didn't get into windshear and I never flew with that d-bag again.
Well, it's aviation, and we all know, d-bags happen... ;)

There's all types everywhere, just glad I've never flown for an operator who thinks switching controls on a problem that close to the ground is a good enough idea to make it standard practice.

I believe the FO loses instruments on the bus when the ADG deploys so the CA has to take the controls.

Kudos to the BA crew.

All single engine landings at SWA are to be made by the CA. Period.

Trash bags are to placed in the cockpit by the F/O. Period.

First rule of flying:
"Maintain A Safe Airspeed."

At Airways the FO is supposed to fly and the Captain works the problem. Now, I hate the East as much as any Westie, but I think Sully taking the controls was probably in the best interests of the operation that day since Skiles (if I'm remembering correctly) only had 35 hours of Airbus time. You read that right, 35 hours.

Now, I know that Skiles has 20,000 hours, but it's mostly in the 73, sorry. Think about it, your FO is a veteran pilot, but he's got 35 hours in type and now you're at 3000ft with no engines. . . . Did you think what I thought? Say it with me: "My Aircraft."

Sully was right to take the plane that day, it wasn't an exercise in the simulator. Letting the 35 hour guy dead stick an Airbus would have been a big mistake.

Agreed

grog_sit_reserv;2013366Now said:
Turning this and every thread into an east west thing is pretty lame.[/I]

Can I get a 'hallelujah"? Amen!

Latest resources

Back