B737 Types for Furloughed Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

737 Flyer

I posted a note a few weeks ago about the Workforce Investment Act and Furloughed Pilots. This is the federal funds program administered by the individual states to retrain displaced workers. Shari at Flight Training International helped me get 100% funding for my type rating as a laid-off pilot. Some states pay all others pay some and some you have to fight with.

The reason I am re-posting this message is, I spoke with a friend who is furloughed from United and he got 100% out of Illinois. Shari really helped him with the process. I spoke with her today and she said that more federal funds have become available in some states, even some that were trying to deny before are coming up with money.

So if you are a furloughed pilot and would like to start the process, give Shari Egan at Flight Training International a call. She will explain the process and tell you how to apply. Her # is (303) 329-0999. Regardless if you want to do training at FTI or not, she really knows the system and how it works. Hope this helps. Good luck to all!!!

I know someone who is doing this in Arizona as well. Seems like a great deal. I made the mistake of taking an interim job as a flight instructor, so I don't think I'd qualify even though I'm still furloughed.

Thanks for the info.

Schools

There are a large number of students at all the 7337 schools right now. Any of them can tell you about the WIA funding available to you.

AersoService in Miami- Ask for Bob Melton 800 752-7467
Higher Power Ask for Mark Sterns 972-641-4661
Pan American Ask for Sarah Claugue 305=874=6641
K & S Aviation

Tell them the publisher said to call

Never meant to imply that Shari at FTI was the only one that could help. I tried a few other type rating schools, but when I ran into a brick wall on the funding, Shari at FTI knew what to do. She sent me back asking for a letter in writing, from the WIA, saying I wasnt entiteled to the federal funds to retrain displaced workers. This forced the WIA to try and come up with a legitimate reason why I wasn't eligable and they couldn't do it. Next thing I know, they approved 100% funding for my 737 type training. I am really greatful that Shari at FTI knew just what to say to make them come around. Thats all.

Before some of you get expectations that WIA will cover 100% of your type training costs, here is something to consider. The funds available depend on your county, and are a set amount. For example, Riverside County, CA, caps around $8000. Maricopa County, AZ, caps at $3500. (Info current as of last fall) I'm sure that other counties throughout the country range anywhere between these figures, if not range even greater. (Federal funds administered at the local level . . .)

But, hey, it's better than nothing! (As is $182/wk after-tax unemployment)

Cheers, and God Bless Us All!

As an AZ furloughee I know first hand about that wonderful $182/week check!

In addition to what Mr. Coqtoestone stated, another thing to remember about qualifying for the WIA (at least in AZ) is the number hoops that need to be jumped through. Here, there is a requirement to sit through classes such as "resume writing 101", "filling-out employment applications", etc. Then after the requisite number of hours (squares) have been completed, your case is presented before a board, and they make the ultimate descision.
Obviously I don't claim to be all knowledgeable on this topic, but this has been my experience. :cool:

I went through Aeroservice in Miami for my type. I would HIGHLY recommend them. Fast service, went off without a hitch.

You are right. Some places states fund all some a little. Even in some states, counties differ. It is a hassel to go through the process, but if in the end you get a 737 type rating paid for, it was worth it.

To answer a couple of questions in regards to the WIA funding that people have sent me, I will post the answers here as best as I can.

How is the federal money distributed?

The funding for the Type ratings is administered by the individual states through county offices. Sometimes, pilots who were unsuccessful in one office, have recived funding from another office.

What States has Flight Training International been approved in?

From talking to Shari, I believe that every state that has a pilot that has applied for funding of a type rating; FTI has been approved as a qualified school. She said that it just takes applying in a State to start the process.

Hope this helps.

This was actually on another thread where I was asking about domiciles. This thing on ORD is, apparently, true. You can do it out of your home state or your domicile, regardless of where you're drawing unemployment. I needed a quick type for an overseas contract, Higher Power was booked up. A Hawaiian guy (now recalled) recommended K&S, but I went with FTI just b/c they had more flexibility and quick openings. Bunch of airline guys. Some UAL furloughees and with TK it's almost like Initial.

Here's to hoping we're all back flying the Line soon-

Latest resources

Back