B6 LGB commuters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bluejuice787

First, anyone commute out of LAX or other airports in LA to LGB? What do you do for transportation? Cost etc?

Second, what are the latest rumors with regard to new gates we will be picking up? New cities?

Trying to decide if I want to transfer there.

Thx.

I heard the E190 will be heading out west in the near future to fly up & down the west coast, very much like the bus on the eastern seaboard.
Heard we're going to give Alaska a run for their money. Take a look at Alaska's route map on the west coast. Maybe we'll be doing similiar routes.

Heard that from who? We're going to give away very limited slots currently occupied by full Airbuses to E190's on unproven routes? Does that make sense to you?

Blue Dude said:
Heard that from who? We're going to give away very limited slots currently occupied by full Airbuses to E190's on unproven routes? Does that make sense to you?

Maybe it won't be out of LGB?? crap, I don't know...

MD80DRVR said:
Maybe it won't be out of LGB?? shoot, I don't know...

Personally, I hope not. Several of us commute to work on Alaska, and they have been very good to all of us. Bringing E-190's out west where the yields are already very low seems to be a bad idea.

Commuting to LGB via LAX can be problematic. The people I know that do it usually have a car which they keep at LAX. The one rumor I've heard is that LGB-EWR could be the next city-pair, but I'd personally like to see LGB-HNL :D

Skank said:
Personally, I hope not. Several of us commute to work on Alaska, and they have been very good to all of us. Bringing E-190's out west where the yields are already very low seems to be a bad idea.

Some of WN's highest yield cities are short hops on the west coast.

Had an AS FO talk to me when I was jumping on them back from AK. She wanted to apoligize because she'd heard of AS captains refusing to take B6 jumpers.

I haven't heard of any 190 flying out west, but I sure would like to see it. Seems to me that there is so much more that we could do on the east coast and midwest first though.

Cheers!

GP

BlueJuice,

The critical question everyone is neglecting to ask: What is your seniority? Now, if you're senior to me my response is much different.

Actually, where you're commuting from is the real question. I live in LAS and commute on us regularly. AmWest (oops, US Airways I mean) and SWA are alternate plans out of LAX. However, most of my trips I can use B6 to get in/out of LGB.

Check out our LGB Crew site (under the pilots site there is a hyperlink) and Mary has some gouge about crew hotels, crash pads, supershuttle deals on transpo to/from LAX.

I've found the Supershuttle guys to be unreliable. They know we have a $15 fare and will stand you up (if you get reservations like I have in the past) in order to get the more lucrative fares. I've had about a 50% success rate with them.

Some days, I'll just walk out to the shuttle drivers and start bargaining. They're all sitting around waiting for some business. I'll offer $30 with a $5 tip if they will agree to leave immediately. That always works. Of course, I use this infrequently. I'd say in the last year, I've used this 6 times.

With respect to our flying, take a look at the monthly productivity results the scheduling committee posts. Seems to me we're always above FLL in terms of productivity as well.

Happy landings

The yield has been improving on the west coast; whether it's the bus or the RJ it's only a matter of time before we have more of a presence on the west coast. Non stop between SEA-SAN just for starters. SJC is actually one of the five most expensive airports to operate out of. Don't be surprised if we SFO becomes the 3rd airport in the bay area. Yes it's notorious for delays but SFO has been lobbying us really hard to go in there. SFO is actually cheaper than SJC. They've got plenty of gates unlike OAK which we only have 2. Southwest pulled out of there back around 1998. With Virgin America starting out of there I can see SFO becoming a real possibility.

As far as LGB goes, didn't AA say they were going to be pulling out of there? That would open up more slots for B6. Plus, Burbank, Ontario, etc. There are a lot of airports in the LA basin. Look at what they've done in NYC, with JFK, LGA, and EWR.

Latest resources

Back