B1B Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA-44Typed

Just a quick question; do pilots come out of the T-38 track or the T-1 track to end up flying the B-1B?
Thanks

To answer your question...

Currently, they come out of the T-38 track...that has not always been true however...

FastCargo

There are two rumors, that I know of, for switching between the T-1 and T-38 track with both B-1 and B-52 assignments:

1) The bomber RTUs wanted their students to be trained in the
T-38

2) The AF was overloading the fighter community with too many young wingmen and needed to decrease the numbers coming out of SUPT. So, they moved the bomber track to T-38s.

The second rumor also gives a student ( and the AF) an option if the student is projected to struggle in the fighter community.

I agree with talondriver, but I think the biggest reason is that T-1's were running at max capacity and the T-38's had the room to take the bomber folks back. Shifting the bombers back to the T-38 opened up more slots for the heavies and allowed more students to be graduated overall.

Yet another interesting story...

For a while there, back in 99-00...T-1 students going to B-1/B-52s, after graduation from pilot training, would get to fly the T-38 in a limited familiarization program. They didn't solo, didn't have a checkride and did mostly 2 ship low level...talk about a good deal!

FastCargo

Re: Yet another interesting story...

FastCargo said:
For a while there, back in 99-00...T-1 students going to B-1/B-52s, after graduation from pilot training, would get to fly the T-38 in a limited familiarization program. They didn't solo, didn't have a checkride and did mostly 2 ship low level...talk about a good deal!

It was a good deal. I flew some of the IBF sorties. All the guys I flew with wanted the bomber so they were motivated troops when we got them.

Im no B1B expert but I have a "SUPT Allocation" sheet from the guard showing that the units at Robins AFB and McConnell AFB use the T-1 as a training A/C. Of course these are guard units and the sheet is for FY02.

There are no more guard B-1B units, and all B-1 guys currently come from the 38 track.

True Hours, I know of a guy who went T-38s' to fly B-1s' at Robbins. They're now flying JSTARS. I think they're still sending guys through 38s'.

B-1 vs Fighter

I know a dewd who is a few weeks away from getting his wings from T-38 track and is leaning towards a B-1. He's pretty high up in his class and has a good chance of finishing at the top.

It seems virtually 100% of 38 grads desparately want fighters, even if it means doing a FAIP tour to get one. Which airframe do most of the grads who even have a choice select?

Does anyone have any thoughts on why a guy would want a B-1 over any fighter? What are the advantages of the bomber community, mission, bases etc?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom or experience.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back