• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gas Man

I fly RJ's!
Is this considered a "type rating"?

From my experience, the ground school is identical to the one without the restriction but there are a couple of requirements that have to be met during the sim check to not have the restriction, one being a circle to land, I believe.

With this restriction, would is it accurate to have a B-737 type rating on your resume?

Is this considered a "type rating"?

From my experience, the ground school is identical to the one without the restriction but there are a couple of requirements that have to be met during the sim check to not have the restriction, one being a circle to land, I believe.

With this restriction, would is it accurate to have a B-737 type rating on your resume?

You have the type rating with a restriction. No different that another other restriction (no circle, VMC only, etc). Feel free to check the box on the app, etc.

What gets me are the apps that state "do you have a 737NG type rating?"

The SIC type is not recognized outside the country. I run into that problem constantly. Trying to get it removed will cost almost the same as doing a full new typerating.

But ICAO requires it only if you fly outside this country? BRILLIANT!

The brilliant thing was the US airlines scamming the FAA into creating the SIC-type.

When apps ask if you're typed they mean a PIC type. The SIC type is a technicality and I wouldn't claim it's a real one. (Not even to the FI croud. I have a 320 SIC type but consider it meaningless.)

When apps ask if you're typed they mean a PIC type. The SIC type is a technicality and I wouldn't claim it's a real one. (Not even to the FI croud. I have a 320 SIC type but consider it meaningless.)

Dunno about that. My current gig required a 737NG type. My FAA 737SIC type with NG experience was all they needed.

Maybe it's airline/country specific.

It depends on who's askin'. TWADude basically hit it on the head.
As a former APD I can offer this- The paperwork process is essentially the same. It goes in the same place on your certificate as a normal type rating, under Ratings and Limitations.
For example your certificate might read something like this:
BE-1900 SIC Required, EMB-145 Circ. Appch VMC Only, A320 SIC Privileges Only. All are examples of ratings, with limitations attached to those ratings.
To get the "SIC" limitation removed, it would require the appropriate checkride, just as an additional check would be required to get the "SIC required" or the "Circ. Appch VMC only, or any other limitation removed.

So in a nutshell, if you have an A320 SIC Rating on your certificate and someone asks you if you have an A320 Type Rating, you could say "yes".
--HOWEVER--
If for example Virgin America or Jet Blue asks you on an application if you have an A320 Type Rating, the answer would be "no", since they would likely only recognize an un restricted "PIC" type.

There's a fundamental difference between what the FAA recognizes and what the airlines recognize.

It's really no different than the different types of PIC time you can log. For example some airlines will only recognize the "Part 1" PIC time where you sign for the aircraft vs. safety pilot or CFI time.

Agreed, SIC type = paperwork exercise. You should be laughed out of an interview if you try to claim otherwise.

For a year or so I had the E170/190 SIC type (from MDA) until I upgraded (Republic J4J). I didn't list it on my resume until I had the for real (no SIC limitation) type rating, meaning the type that allows me to go out and be PIC/Capt on the aircraft.

Last edited:
It's kinda like the Flight attendant license, the FAA one day mailed them out to everybody.

Latest resources

Back