B-1's to Remain with Ga ANG??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

I read a few months ago that the powers at be decided the 116th BW (Ga ANG) out of Robins AFB was going to lose thier B-1's. Anybody know if this is still true or are they still fighting it?? If not B-1's, what will they fly? JSTARS? I'm in need of a rumor mill update. :)

USAF Manned Bomber Force

Hi Guys,
From everything that I've read, the USAF plans to withdraw approximately 33 B-1Bs from the active force, including all the ANG aircraft. The remaining airframes will be concentrated at Dyess and Ellsworth AFB. The B-1B squadron at Mountain Home is also scheduled to be deactivated.
The remaining force of B-52H airframes will also remain stable at current force levels, whether or not the AFRES continues to fly them, I've not heard thus far. The B-52 is still the preeminent conventional weapons delivery platform for the USAF. The B-2 is basically a "silver bullet" designed to deliever JDAMs precision munitions. Current SecDef Rumsfled is in favor of retiring the entire fleet of "Bones" and buying more B-2s.

Regards,

P.S. I read recently that the retired E-18 ARIA aircraft are going to be modified into J-STARS? Have you heard what the final force number is going to be? USAF wanted 21, but was forced to settle for 13 under Pres. Clinton. J-STARS equipped with SAR is about the best thing for the type of warfare we are currently engaged in for detecting movement(s) of pers, armor, etc...

The AF is still going forward with the consolidation of B-1s from Mountain Home, Kansas Guard, & Georgia Guard from what I've heard. The KANG is going to tankers & the GANG is going to JSTARS. I haven't talked to anyone at the KANG but I have a friend at the GANG that said yes it will happen in about a year.

"Current SecDef Rumsfled is in favor of retiring the entire fleet of "Bones" and buying more B-2s." I have heard the rumor about buying more B-2s but the rumor about getting ride of all the B-1s is way out in left field. I don't know where you got that. It may happen in 5-10 years but nothing official or unoffical has come out to my knowledge about the whole fleet going away.

"The B-52 is still the preeminent conventional weapons delivery platform for the USAF." Lets just say I disagree with this statement. The B-52 is a great workhorse but the B-1 does have advantages over the B-52. All the former B-52 guys that are now flying the B-1 enjoy the B-1 much better. I know that has nothing to do with which bomber is better but I think each bomber (B-1, B-2, & B-52 has its strengths & weaknesses).

Latest resources

Back