• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

B-17 crash outside Aurora, Illinois

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Truly sad. Looks like #2 is feathered. It also looked like she landed on her gear and then burned. Glad everyone survived.

They called the tower with an inflight fire. It looks like they couldn't get it out and put it down within 5 miles of the airport. That must have been one hell of an inflight fire. Good job to the crew for making the big decision to land in a field and not risk killing everyone trying to make it to the airport.

Good riddance! The sooner we get rid of these old warbirds kept up by nostalgic idiots that are living in the past, the better.

Just kidding. I am glad that everyone is alright. The loss of this great bird is indeed a sad thing.

Just kidding.

That's funny how? People on the internet are truly baffling....moving on

Whomever asked the initials of the pilot, yes, JH

I'll save some of the details in the interest of discretion. What I've heard is that it was a fuel leak in the wing. The foundation's P-40 was following the B-17 during the move (no paying pax aboard) and saw that there was a fire and told them to get on the ground quickly.

Landed in a field on the gear and burned to the ground. Good job by everyone involved for getting it on the ground safely and getting everyone off of the airplane. That's the important part.

Good riddance! The sooner we get rid of these old warbirds kept up by nostalgic idiots that are living in the past, the better.

I don't know what's more pathetic- this sad attempt at humor, or the fact you haven't realized that Bush has been out of office for over two years now.

Latest resources

Back