Awac

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cosmotheassman

How are things at AWAC right now? I see they've interviewed a few lately. Does the potential for growth look good? what kind of benefits do you get with United?? What are the junior bases.? Just curious...

cosmotheassman said:
How are things at AWAC right now? I see they've interviewed a few lately. Does the potential for growth look good? what kind of benefits do you get with United?? What are the junior bases.? Just curious...

Things not looking real good lately...our bid to retain our flying was higher than other bids and our management thinks there's a good chance we will lose the UAL flying. Hiring for attrition right now because we don't have enough pilots to make things go smoothly.

I don't know if the owners have something else up their sleeve, but I am expecting/preparing for the worst. Applying for the home equity line of credit now while I still have a job and checking out my state's unemployment benefits.

AWAC is a good company and they treat their people very well compared to most other regional airlines. As previously mentioned the future of AWAC is not able to be determined until something happens with the UAL contract. Even then UAL's survival is not a very good bet at this point. AWAC's survival hinges on how effectively they can exit the UAL flying and transition to other flying regardless of UAL's future. In the short term AWAC needs to hang in there somehow and then diversify in the long term.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you brothers and sisters at AWAC. I know it must a very difficult time right now. I hope that if UAL doesn't award the flying to your company that your management is able to arrange for something else.

rightrudder said:
Things not looking real good lately...our bid to retain our flying was higher than other bids and our management thinks there's a good chance we will lose the UAL flying. Hiring for attrition right now because we don't have enough pilots to make things go smoothly.
Right rudder, you don't mind if I respectfully dispute your claims? Well I really don't care much if you do anyway.

I've never heard, seen, or felt language in the realm of 'management thinks there's a good chance we will lose the UAL flying'. You're reading too much into the sad, tragic, and unfortunate passing of of VP of Ops Doug Horn.

Yes, we are hiring for attrition, but since when did we not have enough pilots to make things go smoothly? We've been fat on ORD FO's ever since I've been there (1.5 yrs) and I can't ever remember being extended or jr. manned (2.5 yrs.) or seeing it done to a CA. Maybe things have been different (a little) at the jr bases (ATL and IAD) but not from what I've heard.

Anyway thanks for holding your head up high right rudder. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Guitar Guy said:
My thoughts and prayers go out to you brothers and sisters at AWAC. I know it must a very difficult time right now. I hope that if UAL doesn't award the flying to your company that your management is able to arrange for something else.
Thanks for the comment. The only reason to continue with UAL is short term survival. Personally, I would welcome a situation that cut all ties with UAL if it were possible without hurting the company and individuals that work here.

Crossky said:
Right rudder, you don't mind if I respectfully dispute your claims? Well I really don't care much if you do anyway.

I've never heard, seen, or felt language in the realm of 'management thinks there's a good chance we will lose the UAL flying'. You're reading too much into the sad, tragic, and unfortunate passing of of VP of Ops Doug Horn.

Yes, we are hiring for attrition, but since when did we not have enough pilots to make things go smoothly? We've been fat on ORD FO's ever since I've been there (1.5 yrs) and I can't ever remember being extended or jr. manned (2.5 yrs.) or seeing it done to a CA. Maybe things have been different (a little) at the jr bases (ATL and IAD) but not from what I've heard.

Anyway thanks for holding your head up high right rudder. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

I am not reacting to announcements Doug Horn's untimely death. Have you listened to the MEC update from the 18th or read the email text of the update? If not, check your email or call the hotline. In it, our union reps state that management says things don't look real good. MEC is in A town right now for a two day emergency meeting with management. Up until this point, I have been optimistic that things will work out. They very well still may, but the fact is we are on shaky ground and I am not going to sugar coat it. I am being realistic about the situation, sorry if that upsets you.

Fact is, we do not have enough captains, people are getting junior manned left and right. I am based at ORD and get at least one call every week trying to junior man me. Captain upgrades come from the FO ranks, and need to be replaced. I don't know how fat we are on FO's, but I sure am hearing a lot of b!tching about lack of days off for the Feb bid, that tells me that we may be thinner on that side as well.

My best wishes go out to all the people involved - at Whiskey or anywhere else that is/has gone through the same.

One of my first resumes went to AWAC, because they had a greatreputation and treated their people well. I remember doing studies onAir Wisconson in college on their hometown style and attitude - anattitude that we learned was inspirational and a model for airlines.People first, money will follow.

Last edited:
I am as hopefull as the next guy that we still have our flying. Morale is not so hot right now. I really hope we get through this, and return to what we used to be. That said, as far as staffing goes, IAD is fat on FO's, and thin on Captains. Just thought I would pitch in my 2 cents worth. I have faith in the 3 amigos!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back