AWAC Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptETWes

I'm looking to know for those that have been in training for AWAC or are going to be as of Feb. 20th if it's worth trying to travel home (BNA) on the weekends via jumpseating or standby out of ATW. Furthermore, what about a car? Any thoughts on that? I was thinking of taking mine which would also give me options of flying out of MKE if I need/want to. Give me your thoughts and I'll see some of you in 3 weeks....

Well, unless you are keeping jumpseat or travel benefits from a previous 121 carrier on furlough, then you will not be going anywhere. You will not be able to jumpseat or travel until your background check is cleared and you're placed in to CASS. once that is done you will receive your stuff about the 2nd week. Some people have gone places, and some haven't. So far it seems like noone has had trouble.

As far as cars go, I'd suggest bringing one. Doing laundry here sucks. Having more choices of shopping and restaurants is a big plus. They give parking passes at the airport as well so you can drive to and from class without having to wait for the shuttle van. Plus, for an entire month... being limited to the same places sucks a$$.

hope that helps some ... maybe others can say more.

You don't really need a car while in ATW but it's good for getting around town when you need to take a break from the airline scene and not have to wait around for a shuttle for laundry or just getting away for an hour or so. I wouldn't recommend trying to get home during indoc (1st weekend) especially if you don't have previous 121 experience. Between events it's good to go home for a weekend but I'd discourage you from trying during events. You need the time to study and relax. Not always possible at home or during travel. I've been gone a while but they used to be pretty good about providing for your transporation to and from events and will try to help you get home between indoc. systems and sim. I enjoyed my time at AWAC. Good luck.

If you do decide to try to go home on the weekends plan carefully if you decide to use UAL or UAX out of ORD. On a great day they seem to run far behind schedule or even cancel the flights to ATW altogether. Very frustrating.

BTW 365PX was a dump truck!

A car is nice but definately not necessary...although with two classes going at any given time, the hotel shuttle is running non-stop these days. A car will let you go to more places when you want, and there is a Golds Gym not too far away than you can get a 4 week membership at for 35 bucks. A parking pass for ATW costs you $20 bucks, but you get it back upon returning the pass.

You'll get your crew ID at the end of your second week, and a few people try to get home, but plan smart and HAVE A BACKUP PLAN...there are only so many free seats into ATW each day. Using GRB and giving somebody 20 bucks to come get you is probably cheaper than renting a car at ORD or MKE should you not make it into ATW.

The only potential downside of a car is that depending on sim schedules, you might be shipped out to CPT immediately following the end of systems. They did say they would provide parking in MKE if you needed it, and obviously its easier to get to MKE than ATW. You also have the option of not using their travel to sim and "finding your own way", with the warning to make sure you show up on time for your events.

ATW's a pretty decent place when it isnt snowing and the wind isn't 25kts or more in your face...enjoy!

If I were you I would just stick around. What if you didn't make it back up to ATW in time for class. They have a pretty nice mall and downtown isn't to bad.

Latest resources

Back