AWAC Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which is the junior base at AWAC?

DCA is the junior base for FO lineholders.

How is the QOL?

Depends. If you live in base its pretty good...if you commute it's not. That said, some commutes are much easier than others. The schedules are NOT commuter friendly, especially if you live west of Chicago.

How long are you on reserve?

Some FOs have been on reserve just over a year in PHL and ORF.

It's hard to say what the junior bases will be. My guess is it will be Norfolk but there's probably a chance of getting other bases, depending on what vacancies open up.

QOL is better than any other regional out there, but still pretty much sucks. Lots of early shows and late finishes. AWAC and ExpressJet probably have some of the best work rules out there so at least you'll get paid when you go to work. And although they are good, they should still be much better than they are. Duty Rig of 2:1, Trip Rig of 4:1 (used to be 3.5:1 which made for much better schedules), and a Min Day of 3 hours.

As far as reserve is concerned, there have been some F/O's on reserve for about a year now and it could be longer in PHL since it's the most senior base due to commutability. My guess is the reason for no movement is we were a little over staffed because we were vamping up for some new flying that never ended up happening. We've finally gotten to the point where we are adaquitly staffed and have started running new hire classes again. Possibly one a month of about 10 people. That should cause a little bit more movement that would help you get off of reserve.

The future here is kind of uncertain but stable. The US Airways contract is up in about 7.5 years so you will be employed at least that long. New flying is starting to look bleak, but it's hard to tell what the owners have up their sleeves. They've been known to keep things quite and suddenly come out with an announcement out of thin air.

It's hard to say what the junior bases will be. My guess is it will be Norfolk but there's probably a chance of getting other bases, depending on what vacancies open up.

QOL is better than any other regional out there, but still pretty much sucks. Lots of early shows and late finishes. AWAC and ExpressJet probably have some of the best work rules out there so at least you'll get paid when you go to work. And although they are good, they should still be much better than they are. Duty Rig of 2:1, Trip Rig of 4:1 (used to be 3.5:1 which made for much better schedules), and a Min Day of 3 hours.

As far as reserve is concerned, there have been some F/O's on reserve for about a year now and it could be longer in PHL since it's the most senior base due to commutability. My guess is the reason for no movement is we were a little over staffed because we were vamping up for some new flying that never ended up happening. We've finally gotten to the point where we are adaquitly staffed and have started running new hire classes again. Possibly one a month of about 10 people. That should cause a little bit more movement that would help you get off of reserve.

The future here is kind of uncertain but stable. The US Airways contract is up in about 7.5 years so you will be employed at least that long. New flying is starting to look bleak, but it's hard to tell what the owners have up their sleeves. They've been known to keep things quite and suddenly come out with an announcement out of thin air.

What he said.....

The US Airways contract is up in about 7.5 years so you will be employed at least that long.

It seems like every week we manage to chop another few years off the contract length. The contract was started in the fall of 2005, and was for 10 years (or at least thats what they advertise). That leaves just shy of 8 1/2 years to go.

QOL is better than any other regional out there.....

Stop it!!!! You're killing me, really!!!

AWAC is a merely shell of it's former self......just go to Mesa and be a street Captain.
The 'good fight' ended when AWAC left Denver.
You couldn't pay me enough to be part of an organization which mutilated the morale of good pilots in a manner the Tres Cojones did!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back