AWA new hire class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sammy@US

AWA pilot recruitment just left a message on my answering machine and wanted me to reply withing 24 hours, about the new hire class. Does anyone know what is going on at AWA?

I thought that they were not going to have any new hire classes until next year at the earliest, but are they scrambling for new pilots all of a sudden?

I have no information regarding this new hire class!

Thanks

Sammy,

Rumor has it that they are thinking of a small class of 50 this fall. That's the good news. The bad news is you will have to resign your USAir senority number if hired. Sure you want to do that ?

PHXFLYR :cool:

Last edited:
PHXFLYR,

I have to think about the resigning part, since this industry is in such a turmoil, I would hate to burn any bridges right now. You just don't know how all this is going to play out! I just wish that they would have given us more than 24 hours to think about it.

Is AWA getting ready to order airplanes, or are they just short of pilots?

Sammy;

We're pretty short right now . Only 1 more Airbus coming this October and that's it. You will be on reserve easily 3 years and ourreserve system leaves much to be desired. I would look into Mid-Atlantic or look into one of the j4j deals and hang on to the senority number.

PHXFLYR :cool:

PHXFLYR,

The only way I would come over to AWA would be to hold onto my seniority at US Airways. The pay at all J4J positions are terrible, but AWA pay is little bit better. And being on the reserve for at least 3 years doesn't sound too bad right now. I can't believe that I have to make a possible life changing decision in a few hours! You have to be a good gambler, and to have a lot of luck to be in this industry!!

Sammy

So Sammy, what did you do? Did you go for it? AWA seems to be doing well these days and USAir and ALPA can't seem to help out your furloughs... From what I have heard from some people I have talked to at AWA, the pay sorta sucks and the schedules are not great (like having 10-13 days off in a 28 day bidding period....I beleive), but the aircraft choices are nice. I believe the cost of living in Phoenix is not that bad, and there is plenty of Mexican food available..... What did you do?

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: ;)

General Lee,

I accepted the July 28th class. It is supposed to be a class of 12, with another class of 12 starting on August 25th. I figure that I will be on reserve for a long time, and there is a definite chance of getting furloughed again (hopefully not, who knows), but I could not afford to pass this up. I will make the best of it!

Thanks

I heard that only the two classes for now. Someone said all will be going into the airbus but that is usually decided at the last min. I was hired in Jan. and thought that I would be on reserve forever but there are only about 45-50 reserve f/o's each day so 24 pilots will move the line up quite a bit. Around here you never know when you will move up. Good luck to all.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back