AWA Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sun Devil 2000

I have a question for the America West folks on the board. I have been checking the AWA website and 800 hiring number and they both say that they aren't accepting new resumes from Piots because their pool is full. However, I also keep hearing that people are coming in for interviews for future classes.

So here are my questions ..

1) Is the pool really full or can I use the code posted on the web site and send in a resume?

2) How long will it take before AWA will accept a new resume?

3) Does anyone know what the future hiring plans are?

Any information on the above question and/or any other pertinent info would be GREATLY appreciated.

THX

To the best of my knowledge the pool is somewhat non existent and full at the same time. I don't think they are accepting resumes at this time. I do know that if you know someone there they can walk your resume in and maybe they will send you an application. Once they receive the application, you SHOULD be called for an interview, time frame, as of lately TBD. The kicker is you NEED to know someone inside. If you don't you may as well play the lottery. That is somewhat the inside scoop. I know they are having classes, but I also heard they are very small. Hope that helps.
-W-

The "Golden Referral" by which someone who's been here over a year can referral one person per year is one of only two ways that I know you can be called for an interview. The other I hear is from attending one of the job fairs that AWA participates in (last month in PHX was the last one that I know), and they hand out applications from what I understand. I hear recently that they are slowing down the interviews for the next month or two but I haven't heard of any changes to pilot hiring totals, 210 for this year and 160 for next was the last I heard, maybe someone else who's heard a updated number can fill in.

Good Luck!

I talked to Tiffany last week and she said 170 now for this year and bout the same next year. We'd been hearing 210 for '05 basically from day one...not sure why the number is a little lower now. For what it's worth....

She also confirmed that the only ones getting interviews at this point are the "golden" rec'd people. There's a tremendous amount of competition for a limited number of jobs.

Good luck to those interested. AWA is a great company, especially if you're an Arizonan or want to be.

PositiveRate said:
I talked to Tiffany last week and she said 170 now for this year and bout the same next year. We'd been hearing 210 for '05 basically from day one...not sure why the number is a little lower now. For what it's worth....

Couple of reasons.

We aren't doing the increased utilization we did last summer due to the high cost of fuel. Instead Mesa is going to do it with CRJ-900's. We also have less point to point flying out of the west coast = more efficient use of crews through the hubs.

Except for the five or six Airbus that just arrived, they remainder won't arrive until the 4th quarter. This delivery schedule lets us run smaller classes. The remainder of the 22 on order will arrive in 2006.

The training center is running at full steam. All three Airbus sims are running non-stop. We are down to one 737 sim now that the -200's are gone. With all the CA upgrades going through in the last few months, there just isn't room for full new hire classes.

My guess is that we will continue to hire at a slower rate to cover the Airbus order and retirements/medical-outs. Unless we place a large order for new airframes or get some used birds, I doubt we will see the high pace of hiring we have seen in the past.

Now if the price of oil comes down, this could change in a minute.

Hiring

I attended AirInc before getting my application, but I think the thing that really helped was the recomendation from a AWA pilot I used to fly with. For what it's worth there is an AirInc conference April in ATL. I think it's www.jet-jobs.com. My only regret is that I didn't apply sooner at AWA. I was holding on for Alaska. After over 2500 hr turbine 121 PIC, Check Pilot, 4 yr, my stuff walked in by a checkairman, and hearing zip back, I finally looked elsewhere. Don't get me wrong I think Alaska is great, but holding out for them was a bad move. Best of luck to you, AWA is a great place to be.

Just in from our MEC vice chairman:

To set the rumors that are floating around this week to rest, I have
spoken with the Chief Pilot regarding new-hire classes. So far this year,
we have hired a total of 57 pilots, including a new-hire class of six
scheduled to start next week. After a class of four this summer, all
hiring has been suspended, possibly for the remainder of the year

Thanks for all the great information. Please keep it coming if there is any new info.

I have a question about the golden referral program. Does the referral have to be from a pilot or could it be from someone in upper management? If a pilot was to get a referral from management would that help or hurt their chances in the eyes of other pilots that would determine if they were to be hired or not?
Thanx

More:

I just talked with Chief Pilot Dan Rogers and want to offer this
immediate clarification to our previous Alert. New-hire classes have tailed
off for now. As previously mentioned, a new-hire class of six will start
in April and another class of four is scheduled for early summer. Other
than those two classes, no dates are set for future classes. That does
not mean that they will not occur.

The interview/hiring process has ended for the time being, perhaps for
the remainder of the year. But the company has sufficient pilots in its
hiring pool (approximately 60) to cover any future classes this year.
If the company follows the current training plan, the total number of
new-hires for the year will be approximately 137. Nobody can predict that
this will or will not happen. Hiring plans for 2006 are still being
formulated.

Just makes you go hmmm........

Latest resources

Back