Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
Aviation Week...anybody have a subscription? Are you pleased with it...worth the money?

Typhoon1244 said:
Aviation Week...anybody have a subscription? Are you pleased with it...worth the money?
We get it at work. It's ok, but more focused on the business side of aviation. There's some info on engineering, but it's fairly light. Not much in there about "piloting" except for the occasional article.

It's worth the money, even if you aren't interested in happenings in defense and space. Articles are highly technical and well-researched, and their accident coverage is second to none. There's news concerning the airline industry that isn't available in the WSJ or anywhere else, and it's timely since it's a weekly.

I'm extremely pleased with my first year subscription. The articles are timely, especially with respect to airline financial dealings and potential trouble spots. Much of the military stuff is quite detailed and are sometimes far too contract oriented (so and so just received a 45 gazillion dollar contract to study the average wind speed of a laden sparrow...), but you'll often be able to detect classified projects by reading between the lines. Not that I'm acknowledging such security breaches, of course...:)

While I disagree with many of their editorials, that's to be expected. The letters to the editor are a hoot at times.

Look for a special offer for the subscription; you ought to be able to get a year's worth for around 60 bucks or so.

Eagleflip said:
(so and so just received a 45 gazillion dollar contract to study the average wind speed of a laden sparrow...)
African or European?

:)

Eagleflip said:
, but you'll often be able to detect classified projects by reading between the lines. Not that I'm acknowledging such security breaches, of course...:)
I usually refer to it as "Aviation Leak." :)

I like it. It offers the broader industry perspective in a form that can be skimmed over in a couple of "throne" sessions, or you can spend a few hours with each issue if you're feeling geeky. "Flying", etc are too dumb-downed anymore. I don't need the thirty-seventh article on mastering crosswinds. Airline pilots can fly airplanes, what they need to learn is the dynamics of the business, for their own personal gain if nothing else.

Eagleflip said:
, but you'll often be able to detect classified projects by reading between the lines. Not that I'm acknowledging such security breaches, of course...:)
Hence its former nickname- Aviation Leak and Soviet Technology

While I disagree with many of their editorials, that's to be expected. The letters to the editor are a hoot at times.
Some of the letters to the editor are hillarious! There are evidently a lot of subscribers who follow the industry, even though they know very little about it. They come up with these bizzarre, completely unworkable ideas sometimes.
There are also a lot of employees of defense contractors defending their projects, as well as the usual Boeing/Airbus pissing matches. It's a nice break from the newstand usuals.

AvLeak and Spy Technology

Latest resources

Back