• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AVRO in CLE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...the nosewheel of a Northwest Airlines BAE/Avro 146 regional jet had collapsed at the gate.

While it's unclear what led to the incident this weekend, the FAA recently issued Airworthiness Directive 2006-01-09, requiring crews to check parts numbers on Avro 146 nosegear main fitting subassemblies to determine if those assemblies may be outside their safe-life limits.

What was the question?

The captain must have left his wallet in the cockpit.

Sorry. Just a little pathetic regional airline humor.

I was told by the crew that was supposed to take the aircraft out that....

Outstation MX was working on the aircrafts brakes and the MX procedure form from our MX said to pin the gear and move the gear handle to the up position (maybe to check the retraction brakes? I don't know). Unfortunately the outstation mx guy pinned the mains, but not the nose and it collapsed. The bad part was the nose never impacted the ground, but rather the boarding door was open and caught the jetway and the whole weight was supported by the door.

I saw the pictures from this crewmember, the gear doors didn't even hit the ground, a couple of anntenne did though. Don't know if the fuselage was tweaked or not with all that weight on the door. I flew down the next day though and did not see the aircraft, so I am assuming they at least got it flyable to ferry it.

Gotta love that SCAB laber out in CLE. Keep up the good work mesaba management and keep outsourcing, it really pays off.

wmudriver said:
no big deal...we have 12 spares out in the desert...

Not sure if you haven't heard but those 12 are gone!!!!
They have already had the Mesaba and NW logos painted over and have been removed from the XJ operating certificate. Some company from France I think took them.

I wonder if it will end up like the one in DSM where the same thing happened to the door. BAC signed off on the plane but it is still tweeked and can barely open or shut the main cabin door.

XJdriver said:
Not sure if you haven't heard but those 12 are gone!!!!
They have already had the Mesaba and NW logos painted over and have been removed from the XJ operating certificate. Some company from France I think took them.

No, I didn't hear that.

About those Avro's...Now we have a big carrott dangling infront of us. With the end of XJ's 1113 hearings coming to an end in 2.5 weeks, things are going to get interesting real fast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back