Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation Week Pilot Report: The Legacy 500 Is Better than Any Super-Midsized Jet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Heavy Set

I just read the latest B&CA mag (May 2014) today in an FBO and this article about the Legacy 500 has me convinced that this will be a game changer aircraft. And yet no fractionals will fly them.... Given the inroads made by Embraer at Netjets and Flight Options that still surprises me. According to the article below (click on the link), this less-expensive Legacy 500 blows the CL300/350 out of the water in terms of innovative technology and handling and yet has a nearly comparable cabin. Don't get me wrong, I have nearly 2,000 hours in the CL300 and I loved it, but this sounds like a serious step-up in technology for a lower price. And it sounds like an awesome airplane to fly - no doubt I will be showing this to my boss...

I included the last couple of paragraphs from the actual article below (the author's final conclusions) and then the article link at the very bottom.

Embraer Rewrites the Game Rules

Marco Tulio Pelligrini, president and CEO of Embraer Executive Jets, calls the Legacy 500 a "game changer," and based upon our observations that seems understated.

The FBW system transforms the Legacy 500 into the nicest flying midsize or super-midsize aircraft we've yet flown. In fact, we know of no other purpose-built business aircraft, at any price, that's easier to fly and more confidence inspiring.

The Pro Line Fusion flight deck provides superb situational awareness. In keeping with Embraer's "less is more" philosophy, the color palette on the flight displays, symbology and systems synoptics are as simple as possible, minimizing cockpit clutter and potential confusion. And when the new HGS-3500 head-up guidance systems and EVS-3000 IR sensor become available, the aircraft will become even easier to fly.

Most importantly, the cabin environment is on a par with the best offerings in super midsize. The Ovation Select CMS, galley capabilities and lavatory amenities provide passengers with a level of convenience and comfort that previously was available only in some Gulfstream products.

This also is a rugged aircraft, backed by a 10-year/10,000-hr. warranty. No other midsize or super midsize has longer scheduled maintenance intervals. Embraer's product support now trails only Gulfstream in customer satisfaction.

The Legacy 500 will soon be joined by the $16 million, 2,500-nm range, slightly truncated Legacy 450, which is slated to enter service in 2015. It's going to compete head on with the $15 million, 2,500-nm range Cessna Citation Latitude, a matchup in which the former boasts a wider, larger cabin, FBW controls and faster cruise speeds.

With the Legacy 500 and 450, the Brazilians have declared that they will set the standards of capability, affordability, comfort and reliability that others will be forced to meet or risk losing market share. Business aircraft buyers will benefit from the challenge.

http://aviationweek.com/business-aviation/pilot-report-legacy-500

Last edited:
BCA (or johnsontool)has never met an aircraft it didn't think is the next coming of Christ.
Not really a super mid. Many will find fault with:
There?s an aft, 110-cu. ft., ground accessible, external baggage compartment, but it?s neither pressurized nor accessible in flight, a shortcoming relative to other super-midsize aircraft.
As well as:
Legacy 500?s sidestick controls are passive, lacking back-drive servos or linkages that would move both of them in tandem like conventional, mechanically linked yokes.
Besides, if it's so groovy, why hasn't ANY one stepped up?

Last edited:
BCA (or johnsontool)has never met an aircraft it didn't think is the next coming of Christ.
Not really a super mid. Many will find fault with:
There?s an aft, 110-cu. ft., ground accessible, external baggage compartment, but it?s neither pressurized nor accessible in flight, a shortcoming relative to other super-midsize aircraft.
As well as:
Legacy 500?s sidestick controls are passive, lacking back-drive servos or linkages that would move both of them in tandem like conventional, mechanically linked yokes.
Besides, if it's so groovy, why hasn't ANY one stepped up?

Why are you always so negative? I thought this was a great article and I am sure I am not the only one who is impressed with this aircraft. This airplane is 3-4 years late - but it sounds like they finally got it right. That was the point of the article.

Last edited:
What is a johnsontool? Why are you always so negative? I thought this was a great article and I am sure I am not the only one who is impressed with this aircraft. This airplane is 3-4 years late - but it sounds like they finally got it right. That was the point of the article.

Ricci has been telling FO crews that he is looking at the 500 if he can convert some of the options he has for the phenom 300 over to the EMB 500.

It could be just talk on his part. When they show up on the ramp in our colors then I will believe it.

Why are you always so negative? I thought this was a great article and I am sure I am not the only one who is impressed with this aircraft. This airplane is 3-4 years late - but it sounds like they finally got it right. That was the point of the article.

Where are the orders?

I realize that it is a global economy and I have nothing against the design, but if a product is competitive I would rather see U.S. companies ordering U.S. Aircraft. Clearly an outdated and parochial view, I know.

Where are the orders?

It's only been eight months since the purchase announcement and five months since the deal closed. The aircraft that were ordered haven't even been built yet and it's a ten year delivery plan. On top of that, 2014 is a transition year but we are scheduled to take a few deliveries later this year.

It's only been eight months since the purchase announcement and five months since the deal closed. The aircraft that were ordered haven't even been built yet and it's a ten year delivery plan. On top of that, 2014 is a transition year but we are scheduled to take a few deliveries later this year.

Huh? What plane you talking about?

Huh? What plane you talking about?

I'm talking about about the 245 planes that were ordered and the handful of 300's that are suppose to arrive later this year and hopefully some 75's as well. Apparently, Kenn likes flying around on our Challengers and either starting rumors or spilling the beans. That's for each individual to decide.

Latest resources

Back