Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PaulThomas said:
depth charge

No sir that is incorrect as well though it could be where the idea came from after how fast they saw it sink the battleship.

The correct answer is: Water Hammer!

When the planes first took off each of them was carrying no more than 2-thousand lbs of explosives. At 12:19pm they dropped their first bomb. The men were ordered not to bomb the ship directly but to score near misses on either side of the great battleship, creating a "water hammer" to collapse the "unsinkable vessel" the Ostfriesland.

#3 answer is... The whole nine yards was the length of the belt of ammunition on some WWII fighters. It meant you emptied your guns into an enemy. "I gave him the whole nine yards"

westwind said:
#3 answer is... The whole nine yards was the length of the belt of ammunition on some WWII fighters. It meant you emptied your guns into an enemy. "I gave him the whole nine yards"
I've also heard that it was the lenght of the bay in a B52.

I researched the topic when I was learning English and couldn't find a good answer.

Some claim it has to do with the lenght of the mast, others that it has to do with burial ceremony, others that it's about how much cloth was used to make a suit back in the day...

I'd really like to see some source to that answer.

PaulThomas said:
I've also heard that it was the lenght of the bay in a B52.

I researched the topic when I was learning English and couldn't find a good answer.

Some claim it has to do with the lenght of the mast, others that it has to do with burial ceremony, others that it's about how much cloth was used to make a suit back in the day...

I'd really like to see some source to that answer.

Well first off the phrase has been around longer than B52 has.
I had been told it from three things:
1)Discovery Channel Wings
2)A WWII Pilot that flew fighters
3)During a walk through of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington DC it was on a plaque next to a WWII fighter.

Back to current question:

Question 4:
Who was the General that said "I have not yet begun to fight" and what was going on that made him say it?

paulsalem said:
John Paul Jones, I don't know the other half.

Hmmm you are correct! I guess lol. I didn't know there was more than one!

The answer to the question, which I had read, was General Billy Mitchell. He did the first demonstration showing that the US guns could not stop an air raid.

Rather than face facts, the War Department demoted Mitchell and exiled him to "a mosquito post in Texas," as Will Rogers put it. The military expected him to resign, but Billy proclaimed, "I have not yet begun to fight" and that he would "jar the bureaucrats out of thier swivel chairs." Page 47 from Flyboys by James Bradley.

Question 5:
What was the "Red Baron's" real name?

Latest resources

Back