Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation to Real Job resume template/advice needed...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

commuterguy

My fractional was kind enough to let me go at the end of the month to allow me to explore other opportunities in life after 13+ years of flying for a living. I'm having a hard time trying to put my years of flying experience into a resume format that will look somewhat understandable and hopefully even attractive to those hiring people in non flying jobs. Has anyone done this that wouldn't mind emailing me what you did so I can use it as an example? Thanks for any help or advice....and good luck to all!

my email: [email protected]

Have you considered the FAA or maybe working for ATC as a temporary position? I am not sure how it works but I would certainly consider it...

Good luck!

My fractional was kind enough to let me go at the end of the month to allow me to explore other opportunities in life after 13+ years of flying for a living. I'm having a hard time trying to put my years of flying experience into a resume format that will look somewhat understandable and hopefully even attractive to those hiring people in non flying jobs. Has anyone done this that wouldn't mind emailing me what you did so I can use it as an example? Thanks for any help or advice....and good luck to all!

my email: [email protected]

I have never really done that, but here is what I would do.

1. Break down your job descripitions into text that more describes what you did as a pilot as it pertains to the "outside" world. An example would be to focus your descriptions less on the flying part of the job and more n the customer service, logistical support, etc...

2. You may also want to add/delete/ rearrange the order of your resume Sections. Example: You certificates/ratings may not be as improtant so move them towards the bottom, people probably wont care how much time you have so maybe delete that, etc...

Hope that helps.....good luck.

Also, play up the customer-service aspects of your job.

"In addition to helping manage a multi-million-dollar asset in a manner consistent with federal regulations and company safety policies, was also responsible for helping ensure all facets of customer satisfaction were met or surpassed," and blah-de-blah-blah-blah.

And avoid jargon.

I found myself on the street in the fall of 2002 and went and found a job showing model homes for a few months, basically acting as a set-up man for realtors who would then come in and make the close.

The thing that I kept running across was the fact that people were sincerely, genuinely impressed by the fact that I knew how to fly airplanes. It really is a pretty rare thing, when you think about it, which is something we tend to dismiss after we've been at it for awhile.

Don't gloat about your flying background, but don't downplay it, either. It might just be the thing that sets you apart.

What's your undergrad in and what type of fields will you be applying to. You should tailor each resume to the positon being sought.

http://thewriteresume.typepad.com/about.html

Kathy used to advertise on this site years ago. I was very impressed with how she changed my resume.

You only get one chance with a resume. I highly recommend you have someone professionally adjust yours and stand out from the rest.

Many of your skills/attributes as a pilot (especially in fractional operations) can be easily translated to the outside world - it's just phrasing them into the relevant "buzz words" that are contemporary.

For example, you work with both a large team (your company) & on the day, a smaller team (your crew). You have to plan accurately & safely & you are entrusted with multi-million $$$ highly advanced equipment. On a very regular basis, you have to react efficiently & safely to very short-notice schedule changes & re-plan accordingly to maximize the benefits to both you & the company. Consequently, you have to be exceptionally flexible without lowering safety standards. You maintain the highest level of customer service standards, liaising face-to-face on a daily basis with very high value clients.

Etc, etc - aren't we good??!!

Latest resources

Back