Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FracCapt

Clown punchers, unite!
I'm looking for recommendations for aviation tax attorneys. I normally do my taxes through H&R Block....but after an experience tonight while attempting to do my taxes with them, I don't think I'll be back.

I did my 737 type rating in 2005, and when I explained what it was, I was told "that is considered entertainment". When I told her she was full of it, she asked the office manager, who said "it might be considered education, but if we put it under education it's your responsibility if the IRS decides to audit you over this". WTF?! I thought I was going to a "tax professional" to prevent myself from making stupid mistakes(or missing deductions) and getting audited....guess that doesn't hold true at H&R Block. Earlier in the meeting, the tax preparer even asked me if I contributed to an IRA...I said yes, Roth IRA...she told me there are only two types, "traditional and access". She had no idea what a Roth IRA was. I think she was fresh off the boat from Russia(and was sure to mention "my homeland" in every other sentence), and had not learned English very well.

I know most guys I have talked to were able to deduct their type rating, hotel/food expenses, and transportation to/from the training. Under what category is this done?

I now want to go through an aviation savvy tax attorney so that we get this right...and somebody that knows what the laws allow and don't. Please post or PM any recommendations. I'm in Florida.

Thanks guys!

This is a very frustrating topic. I have gotten both answers from "tax experts"...I don't want to open the door for an audit. If you find a factual, not open to interpretation answer, please pm me or post it.
Omlet

Taxes

Kinda on the topic, has anyone here ever had a audit? I use TurboTax and like it but it might be better to get a firm to do them? Less chance of an audit? I don't know, but I do know when I did my Type it was figured into my taxes and I have not gotten a phone call about it and that was about 9 years ago.

Never paid for or claimed a type rating but wouldn't it/couldn't it fall under a 'job related expense'?

I just realized my ALPA union dues where tax deductable (got an additional 600 back). Shows you how tax savvy I am. I do have a pretty good accountant though that writes quite a bit off to get a nice little 'bonus'.

Latest resources

Back