• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation stories told here

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
nahhhh. The guy I flew with 90% of the time was an Eastern strike guy who got screwed. He was more pilot than I was before he ever started training. He was incredible and taught me a lot but the other guy was just an idiot who thought he was cool.

So there I was...

... As a young, newbie student sitting at the beginning of runway 22 at Newport in our trusty old 152, waiting for the right moment to give it power and go. As we reached rotation speed, we hit a patch of decrepit runway, which induced quite the nosewheel shimmy, and this loud (LOUD), annoying siren started blaring. I was going to continue the takeoff, but my CFI motioned for me to pull power, as he cursed. It turns out that that planes ELT was a but sensitive, and needless to say, it has been repaired.

So there i was...

...my second solo XC, i was coming throught the CLE class B and approach asked me to decend to 2500, at this point it was about 3000 ft. cigs msl, and 5 or 6 mile vis, i recieved a traffic advisory that an ERJ-145 was about 5 miles and would pass infront no factor, due to the low clouds i couldn't see the plane...and a few minutes later they advised me that they were three miles, but again no factor...well they were a factor, when they busted out of the clouds they were so dam close a little kid was waving at me from the window...

And there my buddy was...

...doing his first night solo consisting of some pattern work...to set this up you have to know that he had his radio on but turned down due to what he described as an "anoying pilot making too many radio calls"...one of our flight instructors also flys the Goodyear Airship Spirit of Akron, well that anoying pilot was the FI announcing a low pass over our airport for a bunch of us waiting on the ground...my buddy was about to turn base when *POW* the lights on the blimp light up about 50 or so yards away...after getting back on the ground we asked him what the hell he was doing...and he said he was so close he could actually see the individual lightbulbs on the jumbotron...

I had just upgraded to Captain on the Saab 340 and with no seniority was called out on reserve to fly the last leg out of the hub to an outstation on a holiday evening. After signing in I walked to the gate to grab the release and head out to the aircraft. As I was about to go out the door to the aircraft this attractive middle-aged woman walks up to me and asks if I'm the Captain flying the flight to the outstation. I told her I was. She proceeds to tell me how she's been at the airport all day trying to non-rev on a flight but keeps getting bumped due to the aircraft being weight restricted due to heavy passenger loads and fuel. She then tells me that she'll do "anything" to get on the plane as she has to get home tonight to be at work in the morning. Being a commuter myself I sympathize with her plight. I looked at the release and saw that dispatch had given me a second alternate that wasn't needed. I went over to the gate agent with the woman and asked her what number this woman was on the standby list. The agent told me that she was the only one but that it wasn't looking good since I was going to have have to bump 2 revenue passengers because of all the extra fuel I was carrying. I called dispatch and asked about dropping the second alternate. He tells me that not only don't I need the second alternate but with a wind shift at my destination the weather has cleared and we can drop the first alternate also if I want. He sends a new release with the changes and I tell the the agent to put on the two revenue passengers that were going to get bumped plus the non-rev. The non-rev asks for my name, which I give her thinking she'll send a thank you note to the chief pilot.

We load up everybody and blast off to the outstation. When we get there it's severe clear out and we land with no problems. As the passengers deplane the non-rev sticks her head in the cockpit and thanks me and the F/O for getting her on the plane. She then asks if we're going to the overnight. I said yes and she asked where we stayed. I told her and she said that's a nice hotel and off she goes.

The F/O, F/A and I head out to the front of the terminal and catch the shuttle van to the hotel. We check in and head to our rooms.

I'm in my room about 15 minutes when the phone rings... It's the non-rev passenger asking if she can come up. I give her the room number and a moment later there's a knock at the door. She spent the next four hours personally thanking me for calling dispatch and getting her on the flight. I offered to let her spend the night but she reminded me she needed to be at work in the morning so she dressed and left. She never did send the thank you note to chief pilot but I have one of those once in a life time memories!

Last edited:
TCAS

You should send that one into the Penthouse Forum:) :)

Aargghh!!! That NEVER happens to me

TCAS--Great story. God I gotta get out of freight.

I'd dump alternates left and right.

Granny fuel is for old women.

I've never done anything like "this"

so.... There I was,

On a x-country mission to visit some college buddies in a C-150,

~In flight Photo~

I departed Auburn, Ca (KAUN) at 5am and headed "direct" to Friant VOR (FRA) courtesy of my "FLY BUDDY" Loran-C, enroute to my FUEL/LUNCH/Bathroom stop of Lancaster, Ca. (KWJF)

An accomplished pilot, with 300+ hours, I never missed a radio call, always had the CDI centered, and could recite the FAR's in my sleep. (smell the sarcasm?)

I was flying along on a heading of ~130 degrees and was at the appropriate VFR altitude between 6 and 8 thousand feet.

Anyways..... Somewhere between Oakland Center and Fresno Approach, the following radio transmissions were heard:

ATC: "Cessna 14Q, SQUAWK ALTITUDE"

ME: "Roger, 14Q"

after a minute or so

ATC: "Cessna 14Q, Confirm SQUAWKING ALTITUDE"

ME: "uhh... ROGER, 14Q"

ATC: "Cessna 14Q, say altitude"

ME: "level 7,500"

!!!!!!!!!!

Whoops!

After correcting my mistake, and apologizing to ATC, I arrived at Fox Field (with my tail between my legs)

Thankfully, I didn't have to make a "call" to ATC....... They probably got a good laugh out of the "Cessna 150" that was being HIJACKED at 7,500 msl

hahahahah

Guess

Great thread MAR...........TCAS tell us more stories
So there I was...I had just got my private and was working on all the x/c time needed for my inst. I left EVV and leveled off at 6500 for my flight back to CMI. I started cross checking radials to find a fix on my location when I started smelling smoke. So I did what any young pilot would do, *I paniced* then I got ahold of myself and told EVV I was now experiencing smoke in the cockpit. Since I was doing what I was told and using dead reckoning/pilotage I started looking for an alternate, and informed EVV. Right off my 2 o'clock was Mt. Carmel (AJG) which I headed for while EVV departure is telling me that Mt. Carmel is at my 2 o'clock. I line up for rwy 31 and open up the wiskey door to get the smoke out. As soon as I can see again I notice a plane back taxiing for 31. I scramble to find the CTAF and state my intentions. While dialing in CTAF on comm 1..I notice that Comm 2 is the one that is smoking so I quickly turn it off and pull the circuit breakers and land right over the ac back taxiing. After landing and checking my shorts I noticed that comm 2 had stopped smoking since I pulled the breaker. I called dispatch and informed them of the situation. Did a short run up to see if the fan,Transponder,Comm 1 were all working. Everything was good and I took off to finish the trip. Most pilots never have an emergency, I am just glad I kept my composure and was able to land safely. It was a tense hour flight back though..That was a long time ago and have never had anything eventful since..

Pilot124 said:
Great thread MAR...........TCAS tell us more stories

I wish I had more but that's been it for me. I figure that pretty much used up my mojo for the rest of my flying career.

When the gods smile upon you it is wise not to get greedy and ask for more!

Latest resources

Back