Aviation on a non-aviation resume

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

polaris746

I'm making a non-aviation resume, and I was wondering how aviation looks on a non-aviation resume. How much would employers care, if at all?

If say, I have a CPL with 300 hours, but I'm applying for an internship that has nothing to do with aviation (investment banking), how far up on the resume should the aviation be on my resume? As a soph in college I don't have any previous business experience, and the other stuff I can put on my resume are the likes of: being an RA, exec board of a fraternity, a campus job ive been doing for the past 2 years, etc, so nothing fancy like "Goldman Sachs Fall Intern."

As of right now, I have aviation near the bottom. Should I move it up above my other positions I mentioned? To tell the truth, aviation means a lot more than any of what I've done, but as of right now, as superficial as it may sound, I don't care how important it is to ME. As with any resume, I care what's important to the employer. I just want the internship.

So my question to you: How does aviation look to a non-aviation employee, and how high up on my resume should I put it? Would it matter what ratings I hold? I'm a private pilot now, but I plan to get my instrument rating and my commercial certificate, latter just to improve my pilot skills. I may have this before I apply for the internship if I speed up my training a tad. Would they care enough about aviation that its worth speeding up my training just a tad so i can get "commercial pilot" on my resume?

Last edited:
I would list aviation only to the extent that it applies to the job for which you are applying. You are do doubt happy with the fact that you have a pilot certificate but that, as you said, isn't necessarily impressive to an employer. If you played the piano well, would you list that? If you were an instructor, you can talk about how it helped you deal with people or follow procedures. If aviation was the only job you had during a certain time period, I would list it to fill up that hole but leave the CFI/II jargon off.

Last edited:
Back when I was looking for a non flying job I was told by two interviewers that they wouldn't hire a pilot. They both said they know pilots won't stick around very long, when a flying job comes around.
here's a common misconception for pilots looking for non flying work. Why would you want to take a job here when you make 6 figures with a flying job.

Latest resources

Back