Aviation movies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Air Force 1

I don't know about the escape pod bus I suspect that it was 110% Holywood. For sure it doesn't have a cargo ramp like the movie showed, there's only so much modifying you can do to a 747. I have read that Air Force 1 has two surgical operating rooms, which I always thought was interesting.

My major problem with Air Force One...well actually, I had two major problems.

(1) After what seemed like a six-mile ground roll, the hijackers did a touch-and-go in a VC-25 with landing flaps extended. Neat trick.

(2) The loss of the KC-10 was ridiculous. If I'm not very much mistaken, "flying booms" are specifically designed so that they'll fail somewhere less threatening (like the receiver's refueling receptacle) before they damage the tanker. I don't think the boom even "locks" into the recpetacle; it should have just pulled free.

Another problem with this movie, and others: I wish Hollywood would realize that even the F-15 doesn't run in afterburner from takeoff to touchdown...unless it's a really short flight!

For those of you who already mentioned the following:

ANY JIMMY STEWART MOVIE!!

No Highway in the Sky
Flight of the Phoenix
Strategic Air Command
The Spirit of St. Louis

I will apologize if I forgot any......my personal favorite is No Highway in the Sky . For those of you who want to watch Jimmy Stewart in all his glory, TMC (and the others) have a monthly list of the movies playing. Here one of the links: http://www.tv-now.com/stars/jstewart.html

AND: This month is showing 3 of the aforementioned movies!!

And, I will hate to admit this, but I did like the DieHard movie.

In another post -- someone inquired where the "AND" began for "check-ins" w/ center/approach/tower......hmmmmm....I think I beginning to believe I might be an offender!!

Did anyone mention Dr. Strangelove? Good B-52 movie, and best piece of black comedy ever.
Then again I'm a diehard Stanley Kubrick fan...

How bout the part at the end where the dude's ridin the n-bomb like a bull? yeeeeehaaaawww!!!

I agree with Furloughedgal---any Jimmy Stewart movie with airplanes.
Pearl Harbor was an embarrassment. They took CGI to new levels of ridiculousness. "Neato, golly I can make zeros handle like bumble bees!"
I saw an excellent contrast shortly after I saw Pearl Harbor. Has anybody seen Deep Blue World? It's about Czech pilots who escape the Nazis and fly for the RAF. The air combat scenes blew me away. I couldn't figure out how they got such great footage of Spitfires on a 3 million dollar budget. Then at the end I saw the credits for the RC model guys. Those nitwits responsible for Pearl Harbor should be forced to watch.

Also, Fandango kicks ass.

crash-proof said:
Did anyone mention Dr. Strangelove?
It's my understanding that the B-52 flight deck set was created based on one small, incomplete picture of a B-52 cockpit that was printed in a British magazine. Now I never flew a '52, obviously, but I feel like the cockpit scenes in this movie are the most credible that've ever been filmed. The callouts being made by the crew after the SAM near-miss sounded like they came right out of a Boeing manual. It just "felt" right.

"You should see it, it's a sensation--a big plane like a '52--vvvvvrrrrooooommmmm! With jet exhaust cookin' up chickens in the barnyard, heh, heh!" --General "Buck" Turgidson

Worst Ever

Did anyone else see the movie (I think on HBO) about terrorists trying to steal two F-117 Stealth fighters out of the back of a C-5? And while in flight? You know, they hijacked a KC-10 tanker, then crawled thru the boom into the C-5 air refueling manifold during an actual air refueling. Then the bad guys cut thru the fuel manifold with a blow torch (no problem igniting fumes there) and dropped into the cockpit of the C-5 and overpowered the crew. Then after much heroic action by the crew, they manage to kick the a$$es of the evil terrorists and force them into the cargo compartment. The genius copilot has the great idea to lower the cargo ramp, pull the C-5 up as far as it will go and make the terrorists fall out the back. Except one of the terrorists climbs into a F-117 as it's falling out the back and manages to light the engines before it hits the ground. However, he didn't know about the secret military passenger who jumped in the other F-117 as it was falling out the back. He also managed to fire up the motors before smashing into the earth and then proceeded to defeat the evil terrorist in a dogfight to save the day.

I am not bull$hitting you. This was an actual movie that I couldn't stop watching because it got more and more ridiculous by the second. I think it was called "Stealth Fighter" or some equally stupid name. I think the aviation advisor to the movie was a 7 year old kid who smoked a lot of weed during the writing of the script. This film makes "Iron Eagle" look like a lock for an Academy Award. Somebody else please let me know you've seen this movie too.

1941, Belushi has this big map out in front of him, says "God D*mn it, I'm lost", while he's flying in the middle of the Grand Canyon, just thinking about it makes me laugh!

Latest resources

Back