aviation management degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

clecak

I am thinking about going for my aviation management degree at the local university. how is the job market for a person with a degree like this one?

What do you wanna do with your life?

You can work in operations.

You can be a station manager.

You can work in airport management.

It just depends on what you wanna do. Of course the airlines have laid off (layed off?) tens of thousands of workers.

You may want to avoid the airlines right now.

But if you network really well you might find a position at the local airport. Or an FBO.

The reality is, it's tough everywhere. Just study hard, and network, network, network. You never know. You just might be the one to save USAirways.

Best wishes.

clecak said:
I am thinking about going for my aviation management degree at the local university. how is the job market for a person with a degree like this one?

Management is very much identical from one industry to another. However, it has been my experience that those not in aviation have an isolated view of the industry. They seem to be reluctant to compare aviation with manufacturing or other services. Getting and keeping a job in aviation is a gamble. Odds are you might have to seek employment in other areas. Once people see "aviation" they regard you as a special project outside their expectations.

Compare the number of views with the number of replies on this post. This will give some indication of the amount of interest in that particular aspect of aviation. Read the range of personalities in this and other forums because you will have to learn to deal with them in management.

Management is very much identical from one industry to another. However, it has been my experience that those not in aviation have an isolated view of the industry. They seem to be reluctant to compare aviation with manufacturing or other services.
you said it brother...it seems that alot of the people I run into in this field have three pairs of rose colored shades on.

You can move out to Denver and work for Jeppesen. This place is full of Aviation Mgmt folks.

Of course with an instrument rating, you can get your foot in the door with no degree.

In other words I personally would get a degree outside of aviation.

IMHO

Agreed- Get a real degree in something u

I graduated with a aviation management / flight degree about a year ago, but have never really had any need for the management part of it. 5% of the people I know that graduated with just the management degree are now working as station managers / operations managers etc. All the others changed fields.

Your best bet would be to get a degree in something else and then try getting a job in the aviation field. Or better yet get a job smashing bags before you graduate and network your way up in to the operations or management side of things.

-Barn

Ps Pm me what school??

I have a degree in computer info systems but I have always enjoyed aviation and wanted to work in airline operations. I agree with trying to get a job with a carrier on the ramp and that is what I am trying to do. I only need two years worth of classes to get another degree since my last degree had a lot of requirements for this one. I have also thought about going and taking a flight dispatchers course and getting my dispatch license.

Right before 9/11 I was accepted to ERAU for my MBA (Aviation Mgmt). I was soon (1 month after 9/11) demoted from my supervisor position at COEX, switched companies :D and never took a single class. Of the people that I know that have Aviation Mgmt degrees most say getting a regular Business degree from a liberal arts college would've been the better route...I would tend to agree; simply based on my BA degree and the flexability it allowed me when the airline industry took a nosedive.
Cheers,
Markus

Latest resources

Back