Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Birdstrike

Atlantic City
How many errors can you spot in this "article". I stopped counting after the first 20. If you want a job that can change the world--and you are able to write as well as you fly--then try to get a job as an aviation correspondent somewhere. Your skills are desperately needed as illustrated by the following:

Greek Plane Had 'Many Problems'
07/09/2005 11:36 - (SA)

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1766527,00.html

Paris - A confusing series of alarm signals and the lack of an effective common language between its pilots doomed a Cypriot airliner that crashed near Athens last month, killing all 121 people on board, the daily International Herald Tribune said on Wednesday, quoting investigators.

An air system knob that had been incorrectly set during maintenance on the ground prevented the Helios Airways Boeing 737 from pressurising properly, but the crew failed to notice the problem during their preflight checks, people connected to the investigation told the newspaper.

Then, as the aircraft ascended through 3 000m, a pressurisation alarm - a device that can also warn of improper takeoff settings while the plane is on the ground - confused the pilots, who did not realize that the cabin was not pressurising, according to the cockpit voice recordings.

As the oxygen masks deployed while the plane continued to climb on autopilot another alarm sounded, further confusing the pilots, said the sources, who spoke on condition that they not be named.

Couldn't discuss problems

It was at this point that pilots realised they did not possess any shared language well enough to discuss complex technical problems, according to the report, which described the Cypriot co-pilot as young and inexperienced.

While both had adequate command of English - the accepted default language for pilots - for normal flight operations, they had difficulty working together to solve the unexpected technical problems they faced, they said.

The German pilot left his seat to try to try and fix the alarm problem, at a time when oxygen was already becoming thin, increasing the pilots' confusion, the report said. At some point after that he passed out, as did the co-pilot. The report also said that the final crash of the plane - after a long period in an automatic holding pattern - came when one of its two engines cut out because fuel was running low.

Last edited:
Reading that makes me even more confused. Wheres this author headed in this article? I can't even follow along what he's saying.

RichardRambone said:
Reading that makes me even more confused. Wheres this author headed in this article? I can't even follow along what he's saying.
I fixed the link and I thought I cut off the tail of the article...but I didn't, that's all of it. There is no summary/conclusion, but it's just as well - it would have been equally as painful to read.

The problem with the world today

Singlecoil said:
They are paraphrasing this...

Ya ever notice that's pretty much all the news media does anymore? They just go around quoting each other.

"According to a recent CNN poll"

"Reuter's reports an alleged...."

The natural result is the convoluted crap we receive at the end of the stupid "telegraph experiment" that we played in elementary school.

Many of the companies are owned by the same parent company. For 2 years I worked for ABC and we ran all kinds of stories from other stations. They use a satellite feed called "pathfire" to link all the stations in the world together then they can just search for the footage they want on it then pull it. The stories are already written with all the facts in them by a producer in their area. The full story is then edited (lines deleted) until it can be said in an average 12-15 second spot. There is no reason to watch one news more than another. The only "Real" reporters left are the weather guys.

Latest resources

Back