Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation induced Ear injury and wrokers comp.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

freighthumper

Does anyone know if a ruptured ear drum caused by flying an upressurized airplane could be covered by workers comp? A freind of mine flew his BE99 with a cold the other day and messed his ear up.. Thanks!

freighthumper said:
Does anyone know if a ruptured ear drum caused by flying an upressurized airplane could be covered by workers comp? A freind of mine flew his BE99 with a cold the other day and messed his ear up.. Thanks!

Wow, your "friend" is in a bit of a pickle. He knowingly flew with a medical condition that should have kept him on the ground . If the FAA gets wind of it, they might start an enforcement action. Trying to pull a workers comp will certainly draw unwanted attention to this.

I would seek treatment, not fly until it was cleared up, and eat the cost.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Nu

If your friend wants to wait 5+ years for treatment, tell him to file a claim.

He'll be off duty with 1/3rd pay, if the checks ever get sent out and after arguing it in court, if a court date is ever set.

At a minimum, and your state may vary, it'll be 60+ days before any sort of treatment. If it is something that needed treatment ASAP, he's SOL.

If his job decides to terminate him because of the claim, he has no recourse.

Absolutely nothing will give him his health back one he's signed up on the worker's comp treadmill of hell.

It is in the insurance company's best interest to keep paying their lawyers to hope the claimant goes away. It is in the lawyer's best interest to drag the case out forever. Don't worry if either the insurance adjuster or the lawyers get bored with the case, they won't settle, they'll just transfer it to a new person.

Plus, he'll have a black mark on his background check that says he's one of 'those' characters that files worker's comp claims. This will prevent job offers in the future.

If private health insurance or sweet-talking the doc's office gets the appropriate treatment, get it and avoid worker's comp.

Tell your friend to "STAY THE MEEEP AWAY FROM WORKERS COMP!!!!!!"

If you need me to, I'll come over and slap him silly 'til he decides against it.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

It seems that he meant to say that his friend flew his BE99 while it was cold. Also windy. Thus, the extra decrease in pressure on the outside somehow effected his ear. Had it been pressurized such an event would likely not have happened.

Seems that both parties could come to some sort of mutual agreement. Tell him to work with mngt..

The biggest reason WC is so terrible to get any action is because of all the bogus claims by lazy people looking for free money.

As to the detriment to getting another job, potential employers could find out through word of mouth but they are not allowed to ask such past history.

Latest resources

Back