aviation hardships

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
I worked for a corporate department; I was their Director of Maintenance, and a pilot. I was working on the jet one morning when the Chief Pilot approached me, told me to stop what I was doing and come into his office. There I met with the CP and a member of the Board of Directors, who told me the airplane would be going before long, but first, they would be contracting out the mx and my end of the flying...take the rest of the day off and have my tools off the property by tomorrow as it' the end of the pay period.

I don't personally know any corporate pilots who haven't experienced that. A days notice, or so.

I flew for a fractional...had no notice. Fired. Then rehired, shortly thereafter. They made a "mistake," they said. Apparently my mistake was being identified as a union sympathizer (I never was)...but left a bitter taste.

Flew for a government agency, or rather, a contractor within a government agency. One day I was employed, and the next almost all of us were gone. No explaination. I flew for an ambulance company; complained about their bouncing paychecks, and wallah...I left, and shortly thereafter, so did almost everyone else. Furloughed at another place. And another. Bailed with one employer not long before two of the aircraft I was flying broke up and exploded on missions, killing all the crews. And so on, and so on. Sprayed for one company, took a leave to go overseas for a time, and fully expected to come back and keep spraying. Except when I got back everyone but one was dead, and he had a heart attack and quit flying.

Twice got traded to another company as part of a wet lease arrangement...the other company bought the airplane and the trade became permenant...until they sold it and I was out of work again. Always with very short notice. Quit several jobs on the promise of another, and the other fell through...I'm there right now, come to think of it. The nice thing about aviation is that while pilots are a dime a dozen, so are jobs...the jobs are out there.

If you're looking for work in your local area, you're not motivated enough. You're the beggar, not the chooser; be prepared to move to chase work. You might get lucky, but chances are you're going to move a few times. I certainly have.

I've worked for several employers that went bankrupt, sold out, morphed into something else, got parted out, or in which everyone was killed or died off (old age, cancer, aircraft accidents, aircraft losses, etc). One in which the owner went to prison and the company fell to the dogs. Another for whom I did part time work got a number of leasebacks from an investor who wanted to fly...and who geared-up three of his own aircraft. Three more were crashed by inexperienced pilots, one more crashed killing nine friends...and so on. All with no notice or warning, of course.

More than a few times I've been told I'm moving, or that changes have occured, with no notice. You're going to XXX temporarily (TDY), hope you're already packed, can't tell you when you're coming back. Or, now that you're here, go in the shop and build two engines, you can go home when you're done. No clothes, no supplies brougth with you? Tough. Ten o-clock told we're leaving at 0600 the following morning, and then ten months later told it's okay to go home now. A week later called out, eventually came home Christmas morning. (Wife wasn't happy).

Welcome to aviation (and reality)...you're already in it, and just now figuring this out? Did you not do any research before you started???

Yes, i researched before i started, i started to fly when i was 16, its in my family. My dad is in the aircraft sales business. I knew what i was getting into I just never really thought it would happen that fast and without a notice. Just a surprise. Thats all

fast and without notice!!!!!

HA! you didnt think it would happen that fast and without notice? Hmmmmm, your father should have covered that as it is ch 1 of pvt pilot 101 under "risks and possibiliies". Now before I go on, I have to say that i have been through multiple furloughs, company liquidations, get out before i die situations etc..... and I still love to fly, that will never die inside me.......my love for flight! Having said that, I really believe that orientations when I was a naive kid and even today at colleges or flightschools dont do the kids justice! I mean they are still so eager to show you the 747 cockpit and the ab initio program "from 0 hours to a jet in 2 weeks"! and all that blah blah blah.....that is fine and dandy as they have to sell it.....but they really should grab the kids and give them a reality gut check......tell them about the possibilites of furlough(s), less than stellar companies, up all day then fly all night long ops, moving to different cities that you havent even heard of, the 21K a year starting salary etc etc.....I will say that I did get the "look to your left, look to your right......they will not graduate with you" line....which was right on! that was the closest we got to the reality of the risks involved outside the barely old enough to drink kid in the right seat of a commuter!
I am still paying my dues after more than 11 years out of school, and i dont know that i am done yet!!!! so jeff, before you go on buddy, ask yourself why you want to fly. if you seek glory, respect, status, lots of time off, security, and yes very very high pay, then let me save you years of your life man and tell you to go back to school for something else. but if you want to fly because you truly love it and have the "bug bite" then all i have to say is welcome! this is truly a great field, and when you do get to a job that you like and are treated well and are in a plane that you want to fly.......well youll see that it is truly indeed very very rewarding and fulfilling!!!! the trouble the vast majority of us have is holding on to that "great job" or for some to even get there. dig in your heels, expect anything and always ask yourself, why are you here? that is the best thing i can advise man, because there are many widebody pilots flying at the top echelons that only 2% make it and they are miserable!!! why? because they are bitter and to them it is just a job, no different that going into a cubicle from 9-5....and they make over 100K! That goes to show that even money doesnt make you happy......
so yes, it can happen that fast and without notice!
ps......never burn your bridges because today's classmate of fellow instructor or even copilot......can be your captain or chief pilot tomorrow!

Wow! 737drv, fly because you like too, that is what makes this job great. If you are in it for ... see below.

The bug bit me when i was 15 and ever since i love aviation. I really want a job with usa jet but i need my total time up and then in the next year well see what happens. I hear pilot yip talking about a pilot shortage comming so who knows. Thanks for all the stories and advice.

Jeff775621 said:
Yes, i researched before i started, i started to fly when i was 16, its in my family. My dad is in the aircraft sales business. I knew what i was getting into I just never really thought it would happen that fast and without a notice. Just a surprise. Thats all
That's why I did my first 2,500 hours of time building while I kept a secure day job. Plus my day job employer spent a lot of time riding in the twin cessna I shared with partners.

Not for everyone, but at least I had control and a steady check.

The best situation you can find yourself in, is taking a regional job with 500-1000 total time and 100 multi. That way, if you get laid off or get de-railed during training without 135 PIC mins, your decision on where to work next is already made for you.

The best situation you can find yourself in, is taking a regional job with 500-1000 total time and 100 multi. That way, if you get laid off or get de-railed during training without 135 PIC mins, your decision on where to work next is already made for you.[/quote]

HUH? I dont know how in this situation any decision is already made for you?
so, if you are in RJ class and then get ********************canned, with the bare mins described above you should perhaps already be looking for another RJ job?...I just dont get it.

to me, you start right back where you left off, no better or worse, with no decision made for you. please explain!?!?!
\

jesus, don't you know how to work the tags when quoting on the forum?

Last edited:
Draginass said:
You have to realize that corporate managements in the aviation industry are no different that other American industries . . . . they are almost all greedy, dishonest, scumbags. Once you understand that, and are not fooled by the warm handshake and smile, then you understand the industry.

Standing ovation for Draginass! :beer:

it helps if you are having an affair with your boss's wife. Then you don't feel screwed so badly.

Latest resources

Back