• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aviation Book Recommendations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Night Flight -- by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. Especially for freightdogs, current and former.

Last edited:
---industry history---
Hard Landing
Flying the Line Vol. 2 - The Line Pilot in Crisis

---classic stories---
North Star Over My Shoulder
Fate is the Hunter

kingaira90 said:
Everything Explained for the professional pilot, by Richie Lengel sold at www.aviation-press.com or from the link at the left of the screen. A ton of information, funny, easy to read, easy to find what you want. My sole source of technical study material for the last 2 jobs I was hired for. You won't regret the purchase.-kingaira90

I'll second that one

Books I wouldn't be caught dead without, in no particular order,

Stick and Rudder (Langwische)
*Jonathon Livingston Seagull (Bach)
*A Gift of Wings (Bach)
North Star Over My Shoulder (Buck)
*Flight Discipline (Kern)
*Redefining Airmanship (Kern)
Artful Flying (Charles) (www.artfulflying.com)
Flying the Midnight Sun (Muenchen)
Blind Trust (Nance)
Weather Flying (Buck)
Professional Pilot (Lowery)
The High and the Mighty (Gann)
Fate is the Hunter (Gann)
Going Downtown (Broughton)
Thud Ridge (Broughton)
Flight of Passage (Buck)
Flights of Passage (Haynes)
*Stanger to the Ground (Bach)
Proficient Pilot Vol I-III (Schiff)
Fly the Wing (Webb)

*Books that changed my life

Try this link:

www.abebooks.com

Last edited:
Rez...no offense...but Tony Kern's name leaves a bad taste is some people's mouth's. His book is good. But he tends to think that aviation accidents can be brought down to 0 per 1000 hrs of flight time.

The only way to do that is to stop flying.

"TK421...why aren't you at your post?"

Eric

What is the name of the book written by an sr-71 driver that is chock full of anecdotes? I have read a few stories online and would like to pick up a copy.
Sound Familiar? Maybe it was just some internet lore... There is one that goes, "Flying over la on with center, asked for fl600. center asks how do you plan to get to 600 and the pilot responds, "Descend".
Man that cracks me up!
let me know where I could find such book.
thanks
snowman

War on Error

Lostdog65 said:
Rez...no offense...but Tony Kern's name leaves a bad taste is some people's mouth's. His book is good. But he tends to think that aviation accidents can be brought down to 0 per 1000 hrs of flight time.

The only way to do that is to stop flying.

Hey Eric,

I've read all four of Tony's book's and seen him speak three times, and I don't seem to recall him ever saying anything like that.

If you read his books carefully, what he did say is that a traditional safety or CRM program will never fix the problem of human error, that we ourselves need to untangle personal error by fighting a private battle against it. Tony and several 50-pound brain folks are currently developing and advocating a new vision of human error, with a 50-70% reduction in the frequency of errors. In other words, we need to move beyond sixth generation CRM in a fundamental shift where instead of trapping errors, we quit making most of them. A fair amount of training and personal hard work is needed to make this happen. Dr. Kern suggests:
  • People take intentional and preemptive actions to attack personal error precursors
  • People understand why they make errors-and how to prevent them.
  • People realize the limits of the "system" and rely on themselves and peers to prevent errors
  • Safety and training are fine tuned to build on new depth of knowledge-individual expertise on error becomes a force multiplier.
In LOSA data culled from three major airlines, procedural non-compliance resulted in over 50% of the flight crew errors made. Although CRM has taken a bite out of the total number of accidents, what it hasn't done is bring down the 80/20% ratio. (80% percent of all accidints being caused by error) CRM isn't broken, but we need to adjust it's focus towards ourselves and personal discipline. Non of us are in danger of crashing because of some bullheaded ex-WWII fighter pilot taking stupid chances with our airliner. Yet generation 6 CRM still focuses on rehashing UAL at Troutdale. When are we going to start taking flight discipline seriously and demanding accountability for our action? Wasn't it Cicero who said "To err is human, but to persevere in error is only the act of a fool." ?

If you get the chance to take a look at what Dr. Kern is up to these days, I would highly recommend it. Within the next ten years, you're going to start hearing about in in the industry.

"All the greatest battles are waged within."

Ill get off my soapbox now, gotta spread the gospel.

Take Care,

LJDRVR

Last edited:
No...Tony doesn't say those things in his books or his speeches. Those were things he said to the USFS aviation community when he hired on there. He backed up his logic with what he'd written in his books. Basically, he inferred that what we did in the aerial firefighting business was too dangerous. He didn't know the industry and when shown what we did came away pasty-faced and scared. He still didn't understand the amount of training and risk management we went through to do the aerial firefighting job and that we weren't cowboys out there but professionals.

His conclusions in his books is correct. Unfortunately, some people see anyone who doesn't fly straight and level, on a flight plan, above 3500 feet, as a rogue pilot.

My 2 cents. Not arguing the quality of what Tony had to say in his books.

Eric

Latest resources

Back