Avgas shortage, so much for gliders being immune

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MJG

Anyone else's clubs being affected by a supposed "worldwide" avgas shortage this summer?

We used up the last of our stored 100LL in our Pawnee last weekend. BP won't deliver to non-retail operations until the begining of August. So for the next two weeks it's low tows and lots of fuel runs to the nearest airport, which is probably a 20 minute round trip not including ground time. Needless to say this is going to put a serious crimp in our operations for a while.

When the local flying club I was at ran out of avgas and didn't get deliveries, I was sent on a mission to a nearby commercial airport with a trailer behind my little car, and four empty barrels on it...I drove down the runway after the tower had closed for the day....and fueled up. Got caught by the fire department on site, so I didn't get all the fuel I wanned ("you're too young to be driving this fireball..." yada yada). I was 18, with a wet driver's license.
Next week the club president acquired a giant military truck, we loaded it up with 14 barrels, and had the fire department open up the ramp access gate allowing us to buy fuel. It kept our operation running for about two weeks.

I think our club is still pretty cheap at $17 for a 2000' and $22 for a 3000' tow.

Wellington, Ohio (67D). Fun Country Soaring.

But with this fuel mess it's probably going up. Last I heard we were looking for 55gal barrels...............

Wellington, Ohio (67D). Fun Country Soaring.

But with this fuel mess it's probably going up. Last I heard we were looking for 55gal barrels...............

Trucking it in yourself sounds a lot cheaper then flying out for it. Good luck to you.

Are winch launches used much in the US? I've never seen one myself, but know they are very popular in Europe. How high do they get you up?

They are very popular in Europe, and I think that's because AVGAS is so expensive over there. I've never seen one here in North America either, but I'm a big fan of them. I think a good winch could get you up to 2000', although I'd have to do a little more research. Maybe someone could invent a super winch that gets up to like 4000'. That would be sweet! But by then I bet the cable would be so heavy that it would be impractical. I think the thing is they need to find a lighter material for the cable to allow higher winch launches. Right now I think that the winch has to be right by some decent "house" lift in order to be really usable. Pretty much all my soaring experience is in the powered launch category.

Anyway, it's a thought for the future. I don't really ever see myself flying piston airplanes as a hobby, but soaring, on the other hand, is something that I'd like to see prosper. I guess I just feel that we need to break our addiction to the tow plane in order to do it.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back