• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Autopilots in Turbulence

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmm...and I would have thought EMB would have put a better autopilot in the jet than the one we have in the E120. Guess the 145 really is just a Brasilia with jet engines.

Man that thing is horrible!! Guess that is what you get when you buy an airplane from a third world country at bargin basement prices!

Unfortunately, you're right, it's pretty much a Brasilia with jet engines. Don't get me wrong, I think its a great flying little jet, but it does have a lot of little quirks.

AirlinePilot 27,
Don't even get me started about the Radar on that thing. That Radar has flown me into stuff that I would rather try and forget. I hate flying that thing to Mexico at night because the WX is awful and the Radar doesn't do the job. My eyes do a much better job at WX avoidance at least in this airplane.

This is a bit off subject, but speaking of autopilot functionality, the April edition of Flying Magazine has an article worth reading regarding autopilot and how it responds to failures. It's on page 14 under the heading "More Troubleshooting."

Im just curious for you ERJ guys. You guys have the Primus 1000 in that thing right? We run the 2000 Primus but I don't have any of the complaints I see here. I'm just curious if the 2000 is just that much better then the 1000.

Thing is always dead on it light to occasional moderate turb, and dead nuts on the ILS.

Any other Dork drivers have problems with what the ERJ guys and gals have?

An old mechanic friend of mine (who's worked on everything from the little guys to the Majors) told me that he has never seen an airplane damaged from turbulance. Anybody actually done damage to their airplane from flying in turbulence? Tell us about it.

Autopilot? WxRadar? Stormscope? What are all these high tech things you are talking about?

Autopilot(Captains prespective) - When the FO is flying
Autopilot(FO prespective)- when you have the plane trimmed out
WX Radar - 122.2 :)
Stormscope- The front windows

In the CRJ there is a "turb" button on the FCP panel. It basically gives the autopilot a little "freedom" holding heading and alt. Basically it doesnt fight to hold everything perfect when in turb.

sabreliner said:

Man that thing is horrible!! Guess that is what you get when you buy an airplane from a third world country at bargin basement prices!

If I were you, I wouldn't be so hasty to throw stones at the "third world country". The Brasilians built the Embraer airframes, but the autopilot (at least in the E120) is made in America by Collins. Matter of fact there are very few components in that airplane that are not made in the USA or Canada.

The Brasilia airframe is built like a tank, well fitted and mated in all respects with good workmanship. What is so different about the ERJ (I really don't know)?

Never flew the ERJs but have enough time in the E120 to talk about it. Never had a problem with the autopilot. In aproach mode it captured and tracked just fine. That wasn't just one airplane. We had 40 of the things and they all worked. So unless it's a whole different system in the jet versions I'm haveing trouble understandin what you all are talking about.

Could someone be a bit more specific?

Does the ERJ have a different radar from the E120? IMO the E120 radar did a good job too.

Surplus,

The main problem with the radar on the ERJ is that the dish is too small. Embraer is working with Honeywell on getting a bigger dish put in. The problem is that the nose is so skinny that it makes it difficult to put a bigger antenna dish in there. I've had nights where we flew right into a cell that the radar said wasn't there only to be unpleasantly surprised. There have been some improvements made to the radar, but there is still a lot of work to be done. The main problem with the autopilot is that it isn't aggressive enough when it intercepts the localizer. In a lot of instances it will fly right though the localizer and have to correct itself to recapture the localizer.

Latest resources

Back