• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Automation / FMS use at your company

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My area is surrounded by mountains so I don't need any GPS or FMS hiccups while I fly the supposedly-correct departure per the box...

I would almost argue that you are much more likely to have a hiccup with VHF Navigation than with an GPS/FMS... although pilot's do screw up programming the FMS/GPS way more so than they do with the VHF stuff...

I would almost argue that you are much more likely to have a hiccup with VHF Navigation than with an GPS/FMS... although pilot's do screw up programming the FMS/GPS way more so than they do with the VHF stuff...

While I agree it is possible, "more likely" I would respectfully take the side that analog nav is less likely. Or maybe I need to get smarter and/or trust more FMS programming (yes that is prob true).

While it sounds like you work with clowns (if not exaggerated somewhat?)....you will get the same EXACT response from me if you start telling me what Netjets or your airline does/did.

Really, people dont care. If you liked it at your airline why did you leave? If Netjets intriques you - go fly a GV there for 85-100K instead of the normal 150-175K. Nobody cares.

FWIW - if I was so concerned I would really inquire about SOPs/Callouts/Standards etc in an interview. You can tell pretty quick if an operation tries to go by the book or if they are cowboys. Screen your employers, I sure would.

This honestly sounds like a personal problem, not a Pt 91 in general problem.

Good Luck.

Sorry, but you are WRONG! I left a fortune 5 flight operation and went to the airlines because of pilots like you... I was at a regional (Skywest) before I went to the G550/G450 Flacon 900EX / Falcon 50EX EMB145, B737 Corp. flight dept and so, with the 121 regional time, I knew how thingsw should have been and I could not handle this loose approach and lack of standardization and went back to the airlines, but onto a major... I was at one of the largest, and oldest flight departments too... It was CRAZY! This is NOT the way to fly large corporate jets... undstandardized and non procedural is NOT the way that the FAA or anyone else intends us to fly these planes... When I was getting my G550 type at KSAV FSI I had a retired Delta guy giving the training and I was flying with a part 91 only guy and the evaluator always commented how much better my CRM and related skills were as compared to the Part 91 only pilots... Sorry... You are WRONG!

Im being told I'm "WRONG!" on Flightinfo by a guy with Fox News in his profile and an avatar of Bill O'Reilly.

This is getting goddam good!

BTW --- I fly a GULFSTREAM, I'm a Senior International Training Captain, I do it MY way, I dont care about YOUR way (or your lame airlines) and NO we dont hire airline guys!!!!

PS -- my sim instructors always tell me I do better than the other guy too...SO THERE!!

Last edited:
I do appeciate debate. Sounds like you guys are at quality operations. Actually I'm at a high quality company.....just an evolving flight department that has been a good bit behind the times. Often begin to wonder if it's me. Maybe sometimes it is

Don't admit you "don't know everything" on this board. That's like blood in the water for the sharks!!!!!! God forbid a pilot actually admit he isn't a god. Knowledge is power. Flightinfo is a good place to find it if you can sift wheat from chaff. Good luck.

Not going to lie... I hated flying with those who were WAAAAAAY too into procedures although it's always hard to bash them for being over cautious....

I mean if you have a natural abilty, some common sense, and maybe some good training you might not need to run takeoff distance numbers when departing Salina, Kansas in a straight wing citaiton...

Call my a cowboy...the ladies do :)

I mean if you have a natural abilty, some common sense, and maybe some good training you might not need to run takeoff distance numbers when departing Salina, Kansas in a straight wing citaiton...

Call my a cowboy...the ladies do :)

And so the accident chain begins

Latest resources

Back