Autism and Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cbrown1

I have a question would having Autism specifically Asperger’s Disorder be grounds for losing a 1st class medical? If you don't know is there a place where I could find out?

Thanks.

I would suggest AOPA, or if you are an ALPA member I've heard good things about their medical people.

If you have this condition but did not disclose it on your medical form, then they will probably yank it once they find out...

cbrown1 said:
I have a question would having Autism specifically Asperger’s Disorder be grounds for losing a 1st class medical? If you don't know is there a place where I could find out?

Thanks.

I have a Nephew with Asperger's syndrome.

No, it is not disqualifying, unless he is taking psychoactive medications or has a diagnosis of a specific mental disorder listed below. FAR 67.107-307 lists psychosis, bipolar, severe personality disorder, and alcoholism/substance abuse in last 2 yrs as disqualifying.

Looking at the medical application form

it seems like there is no need to even mention it, let alone have it be disqualifying. Question 18m asks you about mental disorders but not developmental disabilities such as Aspergers. Since you are born w/ Aspergers and since it does not go away with treatment it is NOT a mental disorder. Read more at www.grasp.org

However I still would advise you not to mention it eventhough it would be perfectly legal to keep quiet about it. If on the other hand he takes medication or has a mental disorder aside from Asperger's then obviously you are obligated to report that on the medical form.

I'd imagine there are hundreds of pilots flying with Asperger's already perfectly safely. I wouldn't hesitate to let my family fly with someone with this diagnosis provided they are otherwise a safe and experienced pilot.

Last edited:
Tug Driver said:
If you have this condition but did not disclose it on your medical form, then they will probably yank it once they find out...

The only way they could find out something like this is after an accident or other serious incident. Even after all that they would have to get a court order to obtain this info. Ever signed a HIPPA release? Last year when I had my wisdom teeth pulled I had to sign a gazillion papers just so my primary care pyhsician could be notifed of this!! While the FAA can (and does) do cross checks with the National Driver Register to make sure pilots report motor vehicle actions on the apps they can't and don't do medical crosscheck unless something major triggers it. There is just no way the FAA could find out who is falsifying info on they're medical unless it is something visible such as a scar from major surgery.

I personally would rather just tell the truth right from the start rather than risk the chance, albiet very small, that they could find out not revealing most medical conditions. Just my $0.02

Does anyone know of someone who has Aspergers syndrome and what are the signs?

I know that there's a list of symptoms online, but I'm looking for personal stories. Someone I know thinks they may have it and I'd like to know how one behaves with this form of autism.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back