Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Auburn University Flight Education Assitant Chief Flight Instructor and CFls Auburn,

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
Suck what up?

That "Barn school" provided me an education where I have been hired at three major airlines and now currently enjoy a six figure plus salary at a large Fortune 500 company.

While I enjoy football just as much as the next guy it doesn't dictate what mood I am going to be in Sunday morning.

And it aint rough going 13-0 and finishing third. Beating the snot out of you guys year in and year out is satisfaction enough! :D

AMEN my brother!

Culture vs Agriculture

800Dog said:
Some of us prefer national recognition for academics vs. football.
That's right. I forgot Auburn is considered the Harvard of the South. Ever hear of SACS? :rolleyes: Give me a break.

The Barn is also tied with Arizona St and SMU for most times on NCAA probation with eight times each. In fact, your only National Championship in football was 1957. Guess what? You guys were on probation that year too. Tainted glory. I also think you are tied with Georgia Tech with SEC titles. Of course they left the conference back in the mid-60s. :eek:

Now when it comes to moral victories...well, you guys are hard to top! :laugh:

Four losses in a row to the Barn is hard to swallow but we still hold a commanding lead in the overall series and I'm confident the Tide is turning once again.

I'm done. There's plenty of good smack talk on college football forums. I'm sorry to have stirred the pot but it's always easy and fun to do with you barners. RTR and fly safe.

GP

That's right. I forgot Auburn is considered the Harvard of the South. Ever hear of SACS? :rolleyes: Give me a break.
1. That investigation is long over and nothing ever came of it.
2. The investigation had nothing to do with the quality of academics at Auburn University. It was due to the micromanagement on the board of trustees. (Lowder and his cronies) It's something Auburn people are not proud of, but nothing can really be done about it.

The Barn is also tied with Arizona St and SMU for most times on NCAA probation with eight times each. In fact, your only National Championship in football was 1957. Guess what? You guys were on probation that year too. Tainted glory. I also think you are tied with Georgia Tech with SEC titles. Of course they left the conference back in the mid-60s. :eek:
It's no secret that big time athletics programs bend and break the NCAA rules. Just because we've been caught more doesn't mean we do worse things. How do you think Alabama became such a powerhouse and was able to stay that way for many years? Bear Bryant himself said "Every time Alabama gets investigated Auburn goes on probation."

You also pointed out that our AP National Title in 1957 is tainted because we we're on probation. This is something many Bama fans like to point out, along with the fact that Ohio State was awarded the UPI title that year, so it really is only 1/2 a title. If you look closely at most of the titles Bama claims though, you'll find that most of them much less legitimate. I especially like Bama's 1941 "National Championship" where they finished 3rd in the SEC and 20th in the AP poll. If Auburn used the same standards, we could claim 5 NCs. We were selected #1 by various organizations in 1913, 1957, 1983, 1993, and 2004. I know this is still less than Alabama has, and I'm not trying to put down Alabama here. Alabama has one of the most prestigious history's in college football. There is no denying that, but Auburn's accomplishments are nothing to be embarassed about.

Moral victories, how funny. Alabama fans were the ones on message boards in 2004 bragging about how their 8 point loss in the Iron Bowl was what kept AU out of the Orange Bowl.

Four losses in a row to the Barn is hard to swallow but we still hold a commanding lead in the overall series and I'm confident the Tide is turning once again.
Alabama might have a commanding lead over Ole Miss, LSU, Vandy, and other traditional SEC opponents, but your 7 game lead in the series against us (38-31-1) isn't something I would call commanding. During Bama's heyday in the 60s and 70s you dominated us. Since then the series has gone back and forth but AU has a slight edge. If that trend continues, the series could realistically be even in 20 years.

I'm done. There's plenty of good smack talk on college football forums. I'm sorry to have stirred the pot but it's always easy and fun to do with you barners. RTR and fly safe.
You're right there is plenty of good smack talk on the collge football forums, but isn't it comical that AU and Bama people are having a debate about football on flightinfo.com? I mean do you see UM and OSU fans on here bickering, or ND fans talking smack to USC fans? You gotta admit, it sets our rivalry apart from all the rest. WDE and fly safe!

Goatpilot said:

GP

85 vs. 104. Better in academics and a better football team. Hows your Sister? Go brush that tooth.

Last edited:
My loyalty is to the TIDE, but I went to the Alabama Auburn game last year and was Blown away by that whole Eagle thing right before the game. It was Awesome.

Why is this dicussion even happening? There is no comparison between the two. Auburn is academically and athletically superior and has been for a number of years now. Any statistical analysis anywhere will say so.

WAR EAGLE!!! Class of 2000!!

You have insulted me! (Slap, slap). I challenge you to a duel.

CapnVegetto said:
Any statistical analysis anywhere will say so.

I said I was done but I beg to differ good sir.

Please, PLEASE, please enlighten us. Academically, I found the US NEWS 85/104 report but no others. Another moral victory perhaps? :confused:

Here's an interesting website. http://www.ordoludus.com/index.html

I found it odd that the Barn wasn't even included in the list of 126 schools. Of course the disclaimer explains it: About 90 of the colleges and universities chosen were included in the survey for the obvious reasons. They're always included because they are the dominant schools in the country. http://www.ordoludus.com/8.html

Endowments: A major measure of the strength of a university and the success of its alumni can be found in the level of its endowment. In a recent issue (1/27/06) of The Chronicle of Higher Education, endowment rankings for the nation’s colleges and universities were released in its annual survey. The University of Alabama's endowment faired well, ranking 76th among all colleges and universities in the nation (#33 among all Public institutions). Among SEC member institutions, Vanderbilt University ranked 1st with ($2.6 billion), followed by The University of Florida ($836 million), The University of Alabama ($765 million), The University of Tennessee ($715 million), The University of Arkansas ($692 million), The University of Kentucky ($577 million), The University of Georgia ($517 million), Louisiana State University ($505 million), The University of Mississippi ($398 million), The University of South Carolina ($330 million), Auburn University ($316 million), and Mississippi State University ($211 million). Within the state of Alabama, The University of Alabama ($765 million) ranked 1st, followed by Auburn University ($316 million), The University of South Alabama ($266 million), Samford University ($255 million), Birmingham-Southern College ($114 million), and Troy University ($18 million). http://chronicle.com/weekly/v52/i21/21a00101.htm

-The 2004 edition of The Top American Research Universities, which ranks top research universities based on how many times a university is ranked in the "top 25" nationally over 10 categories (total research expenditures, federal research expenditures, endowment assets, annual giving, National Academy members, faculty awards, doctorates awarded, post-doc appointees, median SAT scores, and National Merit and Achievement scholars). Once again, The University of Alabama and UAB were the ONLY universities from the state to be ranked in the "top 25" in any of the 10 categories. http://thecenter.ufl.edu/research_data.html

-With five students (of 84 total students nationwide) selected to the 2005 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team, The University of Alabama ranked 1st in the Nation in the number of students on the team. Yale University finished second with three students on this year’s team. For the last three years, UA has been battling Harvard University for the top spot on the list. This year, Harvard University finished with only two students on the team. In the last three years, The University of Alabama has placed a total of 14 students on the team, by far, leading the rest of the Nation. With 31 students making the team, since its inception in 1991, The University of Alabama has had more than double the number of the rest of the state’s colleges and universities, COMBINED!!!
- Six Bama students named to 2006 USA Today All-USA College Academic Team...again the most in the nation! http://uanews.ua.edu/anews2006/feb06/aateam021506.htm

-The 2005 edition of U.S. News and World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges” has ranked The University of Alabama the top university in the state and one of the “top 40” Public Universities in the Nation. The University of Alabama is the ONLY college or university in the state to be ranked in the “top 40”. UA ranks #39, finishing 1st in the state in the academic reputation score (3.14), freshmen retention rate, faculty resources rank, class size (highest percent of classes under 20 students and lowest percent of classes over 50 students), and alumni giving rate. UA ranks in the second tier of National Universities (Public and Private). Two SEC schools made the first tier (1-51), Vanderbilt University and The University of Florida. Seven SEC schools made the second tier (52-129), The University of Alabama, The University of Georgia, The University of South Carolina, The University of Tennessee, The University of Arkansas, Auburn University, and The University of Kentucky. The undergraduate business school at UA continues to be ranked in the top tier of business schools, ranking #57 in America (#37 among Public Universities). Also, the undergraduate engineering school is ranked #92 in this year’s edition (#56 among Public Universities).

- The 2005 edition of The Princeton Review’s “Best 357 Colleges in America” has ranked The University of Alabama as the top academic university in the state with the highest score in its academics rating. http://www.princetonreview.com/college/research/bestvalue/default.asp

- The “2005 Fiske’s Guide to Colleges”, 21st edition, has rated The University of Alabama as the top university in the state in their academics rating. Taken from an Arkansas website but proof nonetheless: http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/5098.htm

Alabama quick facts: http://quickfacts.ua.edu/know.html

Auburn quick facts: http://oira.auburn.edu/ http://home.hiwaay.net/~pcasteel/aubfamily.html

I'll let you do the ATHLETICS research. I can hardly wait for those numbers. I'll get you started. How about last season's final football rankings? http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

I know, I know...fear the thumb. :rolleyes: Congrats on four in a row. I was there and we were beaten soundly in all facets of the game. Roll Tide in 2006! ;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back