Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

meatwallet

certified muff diver
"I’ve recently been in the process of deciding whether or not to pursue commercial piloting as a career. However, although I love planes, there are a few things holding me back that are hindering my decision.

Here are my pros:

1. I love flying and I love planes – I work for the cargo division of a major foreign carrier at major west coast airport and I grab lunch in the terminals and watch the planes almost every day.
2. I love to travel and see new places
3. The prestige of being a pilot and the possible salary in the long run seems attractive.

Here are my cons:

1. I do not like turbulence and most especially air pockets – I cant the stand the feeling of having my stomach go up to my chest. As a casual flyer the possibility of hitting air pockets makes me anxious and edgy.
2. I have heard that pilots are exposed to cosmic radiation in the sky – How much are pilots exposed to? Is the amount exposed to dangerous? And if so, do airlines make an effort to restrict the amount of hours a pilot flies so that they wont be exposed to high levels?
3. My fear of crashing – after seeing so many crashes on television, theres always that fear that what if something goes wrong.

Are these normal fears? Any suggestions for how I can overcome these? With these fears do you think being a pilot is even possible or advisable.

Suggested from current pilots greatly appreciated."

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2393462/

Last edited:
meatwallet said:
Here are my pros:

1. I love flying and I love planes – I work for the cargo division of a major foreign carrier at major west coast airport and I grab lunch in the terminals and watch the planes almost every day.
2. I love to travel and see new places
3. The prestige of being a pilot and the possible salary in the long run seems attractive.

1. Fine
2. It's not like you're going to these places on vacation with your friends or family and you may not have much time to do anything while you're there.
3. The coolness wears off quick. While some people and kids are impressed with the uniform you'll get tired of these conversations after a while and just tell casual aquaintences you are a heavy equipment operator or something like that.

Here are my cons:

1. I do not like turbulence and most especially air pockets – I cant the stand the feeling of having my stomach go up to my chest. As a casual flyer the possibility of hitting air pockets makes me anxious and edgy.
2. I have heard that pilots are exposed to cosmic radiation in the sky – How much are pilots exposed to? Is the amount exposed to dangerous? And if so, do airlines make an effort to restrict the amount of hours a pilot flies so that they wont be exposed to high levels?
3. My fear of crashing – after seeing so many crashes on television, theres always that fear that what if something goes wrong.

Are these normal fears? Any suggestions for how I can overcome these? With these fears do you think being a pilot is even possible or advisable.

1. You get used to turbulence but some days just aren't fun. You get used to feeling bad on those days.
2. Cosmic radiation? Check with Rod Serling about this one.
3. Crashing? Develop your skills to the highest degree possible and excercise good judgement. Then you can at least have confidence that you've done your part to keep things safe. Accidents can happen to all of us at any time, sometimes through no fault of our own. Realistic fears and concerns are OK. Inability to cope with the realities of modern life and having fears dominate your life are not. Good luck.

Take up knitting. If those are your greatest fears, you will love, in not necessarily this order: Ready Reserve, Mx Test Flights, Holidays in Victoria, Tx., and finally checkride after checkride after checkride.

The prestige is what you make of it...

Mookie

STAY away from Aviation! There are better ways to have QOL without the exposure to cosmic radiation. But, the toys are way cool.

Money is money even if it comes from a pu$$y who is afraid of cosmic radiation, turbulence and crashes. DCA will still convince this kid to go there.

Latest resources

Back