Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TIS

Wing, Nosewheel, Whatever
I'm writing to tell you folks that your rules (as re-posted in the board header by UAL78 AFTER they took down the non-av chat board) SPECIFICALLY state that ALL non-aviation related chat should be entered in the section of the same name.

I'm making this post here since it best describes what I have to say without being applicable at all. How on earth are we supposed to strictly adhere to the rules when you yourselves make this IMPOSSIBLE on its face?

Guys, I know it's ... well, it's someone's board, but making these kinds of sweeping changes at this time sure looks like change for change's sake. I will be the first to agree that things do, on occasion, get out of hand but that can be said of any discussion forum.

The suggestion that aviation can be discussed in a vacuum is ludicrous and was the WHOLE REASON the non-aviation chat channel was set up in the first place! The field of aviation is charged with many things that have nothing to do with aviation itself. We sit in cockpits for hours on end with nothing to do but talk to each other – if we can stand to. Opinions are formed and some of us come here to vent.

For several years this board has been a reflection of the mood of the nation and, well, that mood has been better in years gone by. There has been bitter debate and there have been some distasteful folks running off at the mouth, but they were always right where you expected to find them. By eliminating their watering hole, so to speak, I fear you may have invited back in the front door is people posting their opinions on political issues and whatnot wherever they can make it fit - like they were doing before.

Clearly, if this is your final decision then that’s that. It’s “your” board. But if you thought you had a problem before with the non-av forum wait'll ya see what happens when you have to search ALL the forums for "illegal" postings and rancorous debate in an effort simply to enforce your own rules.

As I indicated, someone has say so and that someone used to be Mark. Is this what he would have done? I dunno, perhaps you all were trading e-mails about doing this before his guiding light dimmed but that wasn't the spirit of this board before.

Guys, I said that light was dimmed - not extinguished. Think about it.

TIS

Last edited:
Ignorant (at the time) statement retracted.

TIS

Last edited:
TIS said:
For several years this board has been a reflection of the mood of the nation and, well, that mood has been better in years gone by.

No. A bunch of pilots that spend a too much time on message boards is not a microcosm of the nation. I'm not even sure it is very representative of pilots. Perhaps so. However, the nation? Definitely not.

waka said:
No. A bunch of pilots that spend a too much time on message boards is not a microcosm of the nation. I'm not even sure it is very representative of pilots. Perhaps so. However, the nation? Definitely not.
Well, perhaps not in the vitriole but the nature of the discussions very DEFINITELY were a reflection of the increasingly contentious debate between people like me and people like you.

I guess I'm done here. Much to your relief I'm sure.

TIS

TIS said:
Excuse me, but is there a problem?

TIS

He meant the non aviation chat section is back

Er, well uhhh,...thanks

414Flyer said:
He meant the non aviation chat section is back

Now that everything's in its proper temporal context I see what he was getting at.

My apologies saabdude.

TIS said:
Now that everything's in its proper temporal context I see what he was getting at.

My apologies saabdude.
Not a problem! I should have been more specific.

LAXSaabdude.

regardless of whether the NARC forum is back, or not. TIS makes a great set of points and the new owner would be well advised to consider TIS's commentary.
Cal

Latest resources

Back