• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

ATR crash

Citjok

Total Time
10000+
Just saw in the cnn website that an ATR72 went down off the coast of Italy. It reported an engine problem. God bless the victims.

surplus1

Total Time
25K+
Citjok said:
Just saw in the cnn website that an ATR72 went down off the coast of Italy. It reported an engine problem. God bless the victims.
Must have been a real big "engine problem" if that's true. That thing should be quite capable of getting around on one.

RJET

Total Time
MILLER
IT IS A SAD EVENT. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG THE ATR IS DESIGNED TO FLOAT ON WATER IN EVENT OF A DITCH. I was told in ground school a couple years back that is was designed to float for a few minutes but never actually tested.

PA31Ho

Total Time
>2500
I couldn't help but laugh at the media this afternoon on Fox coverage. "An Itilian Jet Airliner crashes off the coast of Italy. This is an ATR-72 which is a twin turbopropellor aircraft which seats... blah blah"... I guess that's what happens when they really don't know aviation. But it wasn't just 1 time, it was for hours. I guess somebody finally got them straight.

Anyway, another sad story.