ATP XC requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

glasspilot

Okay, I'm going to admit to being lazy upfront. I could look this up but instead figured I'd crowd source the expert section of this forum.

So I'm flying with a guy today and a disagreement comes up. I swear I'm right and he swears he's rght...

When flying cross country for the purpose of ATP only we both agree you need not land for it to count. But he says you only need to go to a point 25 miles away and I say it's the same 50 nm requirement as every other rating.

Thanks in advance to anyone who feels like settling this bet. An FAR referance would be swell too as long as I'm being lazy!

Fly safe,

gp

Your friend is wrong. I don't think there's a 25mile requirement for anything in the regs other than the solo student endorsement. It's 50 miles. Let's hope you were the ATP on that flight...

Last edited:
I was the PIC. He has an ATP too though that I'm pretty sure he used a bunch of that 25 nm time to get. If it helps he's a Riddle Diddle and claims they all did it. Maybe some Riddle guy could confirm?

A FAR reference would be great here as I don't have a current book.

Thanks in advance,

gp

Pt61.1
(3) Cross-country time means--

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) through (b)(3)(vi) of this section, time acquired during a flight--
(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;
(B) Conducted in an aircraft;
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and
(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

(vi) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for an airline transport pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating), time acquired during a flight--
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
(B) That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.

So you don't even have to land as long as you fly at least 50 miles away and come back. I usually just tune out Riddle grads.

Thanks CX880,

I got impatient and went to FAA.gov and looked it up. I was just on my way back here to post and low and behold ya beat me to it!

Thanks for your efforts though.

Fricken Riddle Diddles...

Is he a newer Riddle student or one from the 80's/early 90's, because they are not in the same category that's for sure.

Well, he started this whole thing with, "back in the day you only had to go 25nm for ATP..."

I asked when "back in the day" was as he looked younger than me. He said 02.

Today I let him know that I looked up the FAR. It was 50 in '97 when I instructed, it's 50 now but for some reason he still thinks it was 25 "back in the day".

Whatever, I let it go...

50 miles and you dont have to land.

I recall an old instructor of mine who logged these kinds of hours to get his ATP quicker. He would take his students in a straight line (whenever possible) to perform manuevers back and forth along the route. Very unlikely ALL of these lessons were 50+ NM.

Latest resources

Back