Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bertengineer

AM Aviation
What, if any, memory items can be used to help with the ATP written especially for the aircraft specific questions, and the IFR flight questions?

I wouldn't attempt or try to memorize much of anything while preparing for this written. Maybe the formulas for the weight and balance problems, that is about it in my opinion. The rest should be looked at and understood, atleast that is how I viewed it when taking both the FE and ATP writtens. Knock out one section at a time and don't move on until you understand the questions and the answers. The ATP and FE writtens are two that require the effort, preparation, and the time to be put in to be successful on the first attempt.

350, I agree.
Presently, I'm in the middle of studying the Gleim ATP written prep book too. Some of the questions on alternates and fuel reserves for Supp. Flag, Domestic and Commercial are all blurring together. Its a big book with lots of questions, epecially the performance stuff. Memorizing answers isn't a policy I'd follow. You're better off taking your time to understand the questions and answers more thoroughly. Eventually, you will need to have a working knoweldge of this stuff so it doesn't hurt to try understanding the logicbehind an answer. As far as the calculations go, make sure you have an electronic flight computer for the IFR flights.

A high score on an FAA written test does not a competent pilot make!

A few former Marine C-130 engineers I know black out every answer except the correct one in the study books like Gleim. They've said that way has worked for years. I used the electronic Gleim software on my computer and had the book for when I travelled. I really like the software; it allows you to simulate both CATS and Lasergrade tests, but it is pricy. Thankfully, I 'borrowed' a copy from a friend;)

Memorize the flight planning questions and anything that takes more than 5 minutes to work, IMO. I've yet to come across any real-world flight plan even halfway similar to the complicated, splitting-hair nature of FAA questions. W&B questions aren't too bad, but they are sometimes easy to make mistakes on. Although some of the regs aren't intuitive, learn them cold. I spent at least 30 minutes a night for two weeks studying hardcore before I took it, completed it in less than 60 minutes and did just fine. I don't think there is much of a difference between an 85 and a 100 on it, other than pride and maybe a slight gee-whiz factor during an interview. Just get it out of the way.

FWIW, I know a guy that got a 100% on it. Farkin' overachiever!

I went to All ATP's for the 1 day ATP course. Showed up at 8AM sat in front of a computer until 4PM and took the test. I did very little studying beforehand and Made a 94. The cost was about 250$

I have never been asked what my score was for any test, you will find in aviation it is either SAT or UNSAT.

I highly recommend this way, most of the questions on the test were on regs and weather.

Last edited:
The only numbers you should absolutely memorize are the times and fuel burns for the flight planning questions, not worth the effort at all to work them. I had 3 questions on test and got them all right, spent 2 sec on each on them.

There are 7 different flight scenarios if I remember correctly. Just make a chart with the time and fuel for each flight. It makes it easy in that you only have to memorize the first and last numbers. IOW, if the answer is 28665 lbs, just remember 2xxx5 because the othes dont match.

Been using the Gleim software for the ATP written study. Like it so far, but no memory stuff. I actually am learning it though, which is good in the long run.

It's taking me longer to get ready for the test, but at 300 hours I've got plenty of time.

The only thing to memorize that I can figure out is the formulas. The rest is figurable outable...

-mini

I got the King Videos and computer software. As much fun as it is to watch John "Tight Shirt" and Martha "Crazy Hair" king for a few hours it worked great and teaches you the stuff you need to know. I got it off of eBay pretty cheap. Got a 94% so I can't complain.

Latest resources

Back