Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

newmei

Hello all.
I thought it might be an appropriate time to take the ATP written during the winter break, I don't quite have the times or the age to take the practical but I thought I might get it out of the way and take on a little challenge, I do have the Gleim ATP written prep however it is a little difficult and I want a better simplier prep, as I don't know a whole lot about jet engines and the heavies etc. Can you guys recommend any other books to help me with this? I was thinking the Turbine Pilots Flight Manual....
Thanks

ATP Written Advise

First of all, you legally must be 21 to take the written.

Also, the best and easiest way to take the written is go to ATP flight school, they have branches all around the country. They offer a two day course, where on day one, you sit in front of a computer all day and look at questions and answers. They narrow it down to only 600 questions to "memorize." Day 2, you take the test.

You don't have to study at all before going. I did it recently and got a 100%. They charge $250.

Good luck.

I would highly recommend "Bill Phelps Airline Ground School". They have contract instructors all over the country and are very cheap. They have narrowed down the questions also and I think there are somewhere around 600 to "Study". The cost is a little less than ATP, but you have to go take the written on your own. They only teach the difficult material i.e. 747 weight&ballance and other unfamiliar stuff. The rest you can learn on your own easily enough. I think the cost for mine was around 150 or 175. They will knock off about 50 bucks if you bring another student with you. If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer them for you. Good luck with your written.

Kevin

buy the gleim. study. take the test.

that was my method, I got a 94%

those test prep places just take your money, study on your own and save some bucks!

Yeah, its a big book (the gleim atp), but its a breeze!

Do the results expire after 24 months like all the other ones?

I second that. I bought the Gleim. Memorized for 2 days and took the test. Cost me $80 and I got a 95. People that go to All ATPs have too much money. Send it our way, Mr. Moneybags!

jaybird said:
Do the results expire after 24 months like all the other ones?

If you are employed by a Part 121/135 company then the ATP written stays good as long as you're employed. If you should change jobs it gets complicated, but the hiring company might have the ability to get the FSDO to keep extending it. Otherwise it expires in 24 months.

Regardless, to apply at most (if not all) major airlines they need to see it taken within the last two years. Same goes for the FEX.

G'luck

Oh, and BTW, I studied for both the ATP and FEX writtens using just the Gleim. Scored 95 and 100.

Like everybody else, study the GLEIM 4 hrs a day and you'll ace the sucker in 2 weeks or less.

Don't worry about actually learning the stuff, that's when air carrier ground school will show you what most of that stuff really means.

Don't waste your time with those prep schools.

Good Luck.

I think it depends on how best you learn. I've studied for exams both ways. I studied for my Private and Commercial at home by reading the Jepp textbooks, PHAK and, when it came right down to it, memorizing the ASA books. It took me weeks to study for each exam, but I got over a 95 on each. Granted, I was on a horrendous work schedule and could not stay disciplined enough to study. If I had, I could have taken the exams sooner.

I went to weekend schools for my Instrument and CFI-I writtens. Very smart decision. Don't remember which school at the moment. One was taught by this old B707 driver who lost his medical because of a heart condition. The other class was taught by two airline pilots, one for TWA and the other I don't remember. I knew nothing about IFR at the time. Of course, they only taught the exam, but I was surprised at how much I learned. I took each exam a day or so after the course and did well.

I went to Bill Phelps in Phoenix for my FE and ATP written. Once again, a very smart decision. My instructor was fantastic. He was a retired BOAC PFE and was well-known in the area for being a great ground instructor. I was the only light plane pilot in the class and knew nothing about jets; the others were fast-mover drivers from Luke. Nevertheless, he went just a little slower so I could pick up the turbojet concepts. I crammed after the course, as recommended, and scored past 90 on both tests.

Once again, it depends on how you learn best. I found I do far better going to class than studying at home.

Good luck with your writtens.

Latest resources

Back