ATP written questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F16fixer

How did you guys study the 140 IFR trip questions and the 3 different airplane type performance sections without wanting to stick a 45 cal in your mouth and squeeze? O.K. a little over the top, but you know what I mean. Are there a lot of those questions on the real test? The rest of the chapters are fairly simple. Any insight would be appreciated. I just want to get this test over with.

F16fixer said:
How did you guys study the 140 IFR trip questions and the 3 different airplane type performance sections without wanting to stick a 45 cal in your mouth and squeeze? O.K. a little over the top, but you know what I mean. Are there a lot of those questions on the real test? The rest of the chapters are fairly simple. Any insight would be appreciated. I just want to get this test over with.

I just skip them. I'm not going to waste my time even doing them. On the tests there are only a few of them. About 5 or so.

Rote memorization of patterns. When I took the test the answer was usually the middle choice.

Cross out the wrong answers so that you only have the question and the correct answer. This way if you don't remember the question but recognize the answer, you have a good chance at getting it right.

Remember- 99% of the junk they ask you on that test isn't really applicable in real world ops anyway. If they wanted it to be a real test of knowledge, they wouldn't a) publish the answers, b) use NOS charts (the last time I even owned one was years ago when I was flight instructing), c) use way outdated methods of determining weight and balance and performance (I know that I don't use a table to calculate w/b for my job... we have a whiz wheel or spreadsheet, and a computerized program for performance numbers).

Just play the game, get through the written any way you can, and move on with your life.

Technically the FAA doesn't publish the answers, they only publish the questions. Gleim just goes through and figures out all the answers then publishes both.

I had maybe 2 or 3 performance chart questions, a few weather chart questions. I didn't spend much time at all studying the charts and I could still make a reasonable guess at the answer. As long as you're solid on the rest it won't make or break the test.

machaf said:
I just skip them. I'm not going to waste my time even doing them. On the tests there are only a few of them. About 5 or so.
I agree, skip studying them, and answer all the same letter

It's really not that hard to just DO the calculation on the test! Do a few examples while you are studying, so you know how to go about performing the calculation, then just do it on the test. You can even skip them and go back when you have time at the end. You guys are lazy!

Latest resources

Back