ATP written question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

calstar

Based on 61.39 an ATPw will expire after 2 years as mine did back in '01. If I choose to upgrade with my current 121 carrier, based on 61.39, I can do that with my expired ATPw.

Now, if I choose to go to another 121 carrier, Continental for example because they only require an ATPw, based on 61.39, my expired ATPw would be valid for the upgrade there as well.

But will a 121 carrier only requiring an ATPw accept an expire one for the interview?

calstar said:
Now, if I choose to go to another 121 carrier, Continental for example because they only require an ATPw, based on 61.39, my expired ATPw would be valid for the upgrade there as well.

Are you sure about that? I've been told differently but have never looked it up. It would save me a lot of trouble if it were true.

And I've seen "current, unexpired" ATPw specified as a requirement at some places. I would assume they would want a current one, but hopefully someone else can chime in to clarify that.

The reg changed. Here is how it currently reads:

(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:
(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved—
(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and
(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or
(2) Is employed as a flight crewmember in scheduled U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test, and has accomplished the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought.

Continental requires an ATPw. They don't specify whether it has to be a current ATPw or not.

If I decide to interview somewhere else instead of upgrading where I'm at, I'll probably just drop the 300 bones and take the 1 day prep/test at All ATP's. I did the Gleim route last time and although I scored in the 90's it took way too long to get prepared.

I took my written back in May, but I cannot find the paperwork to save my life, am I screwed?

I think on the FAA website you can download a form to get a replacement copy of your written exam results.

Um, Now don't take this the wrong way..but do you really expect to be hired at Continental without an ATP?

Now I know that the regionals are now hiring folks with low enough times that they do not have it, but that is a fairly new thing. 7 or 8 years ago most regionals would not touch you without an ATP.

In 3 121 carriers I have never encountered a new hire that did not hold an ATP.

Do yourself a favor, go rent a twin and take the ride. You take an ATP ride every six months in the sim anyhow, might as well have the paper to go along with it!

From the FSDO...

I had the same question when I switched carriers. Here's the email I sent the FSDO and their reply:

Date: May 31, 2004 8:30:51 AM EDT
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Question regarding my ATP written test

Hi there, I have a question regarding the expiration date of my ATP written exam. I took the exam in January 2002, so it would normally expire January 2004. However, I was hired by an airline in July 2002 and am still with them. From what I've been told, if I am employed by a part 121 carrier, than the exam does not expire. Is this correct? If that is true, I have a second question. I have just recently been hired by another airline and am awaiting a class date. If there is a gap (say 1 week) between my working at airline A and starting work at airline B, does that mean the exam results expire?

I appreciate your time in clearing this up for me.

Sincerely,

Me

Date: June 1, 2004 8:56:39 AM EDT
To: Me
Subject: ATP

Good morning Me,

I have been given the job of responding to your question as I am the duty
inspector today. (703-661-8160X242)

You are quite correct in that your ATP written remains valid all the time
you are employed by a 121 or 135 carrier.

It will remain valid when you go to the other carrier and I would suggest
that you use vacation time etc. to show that there was no gap. Technically
it would drop dead if you were not employed by a 121/135 carrier for any
length of time

Please call me iat the number above if you have any questions.

Regards,

BaD.

Latest resources

Back